Standard Fat Strat review by Squier

Squier: Standard Fat Strat

Price paid: € 240

Purchased from: Rising Force

If fits perfectly and my stile varies :D I have a Randall g3+ 150watt valve dynamic Head with 4x12 celestion speaker cabinet also a Mesa Boogie duo recto (which unfortunately I don't own anymore). My first amp was a Randall Rh15H which is a good practice amp but still didn't have the dirtiness I needed so I bought a Boss MT2 and Boss Me50 processor through which the guitar sounds bad ass. One disadvantage is that the neck and middle pickups have some noise not much but still it is heariable mostly on the dirty channel. It suits almost all stiles known to mankind form blues to hard rock and heavy metal. It isn't suitable for trash not that it isn't possible to play it on but it doesn't have that low thick heaviness that most trashers search for.

My music style differs. Big fan of Metallica and Alice in Chains. The sound of the guitar and the shape of the neck makes it possible for me to play fast improvisations and make excellent covers. Just something to add - The tone of metallica can easily be reproduced only by the amp I use manly the processor for the clean tones for One, Nothing else matters and some other. It is not the guitar that makes the sound it is the player and the amp. I compared it to a Gibson standart les paul and a ESP Explorer like Hetfield's - these are the guitars that my guitar teacher owns. Through the same amp on clean channel the Gibson sounded more warm, mellow and full, the ESP with it's active EMG pickups sounded more scooped and bright and the Squier somewhere in between. On the dirty channel ( used the neck pickup ) Gibosn had great mids, the Squier had great highs and the ESP combined both sounds. I wish it had EMG 60/81 despite not being a trademark for Fender guitars because Squire is by Fender, the active pickups are noiseless and have that specific tone that I am searching for. I also have a Jacksons Js30 kelly with stock Jackson high gain pickups.

I can assure you that it can withstand Live playing. I played once live and it sounded good. The hardware will last because think that I have been taking a big care after this guitar and actually I don't see why it shouldn't last. Sometimes my strap falls but this is because it is with big holes. The strap buttons are good but not that good. With a locking straps it will be just about perfect. For another 3-4 years this guitar will hold unless I sell it or something happens but pretty sure that it will.

The guitar was set up pretty good in the factory. The first thing I noticed was that the strings were a bit high so I had them lowered to the point were they almost hit the first fret (There is a standart for string height but almost every guitars come with with a bit high strings and every guitarist lowers the string to his comfort so I don't think this is such a big deal). Despite the little noise that comes out from the pickups they are pretty well balanced. The neck gives thick low ends with tight highs perfect for rhythm sections, the middle is suitable for an Acoustic or clean parts and the bridge for high gain lead sections. It didn't contain any flaws when I got it.

This particular guitar was made in 2005. My father bought it for my 14th birth day which was the year 2007. Now I am currently 17. The model is just a classical fat Strat with two single coil and one humbucker pickups. It is crafted in Indonesia. It has 22 Medium Jumbo frets with a scale length 25.5". It has solid top. The body is Strat made from black Agathis (Polyurethane Finish). The brigde is Synchronous Twin-Pivot Tremolo. Comes with passive electronics. Two tone controls for the singe coils and one master volume. Standard Die-Cast Tuners.

LegendLegend
    Because of a studio problem that threw a background buzz into the mix, with my Telecaster, Les Paul Standard, Travis Bean and Burns shortscale Jazz I went on line and bought a twin humbucker Indonesian made Fender Squire standard. Over the years it has become one of my most reliable and exciting guitars - at the price it is amazing. It is reliable, quick, clean and has great crunch. Since then I acquired a 1964 strat and as much as that has its own sound - which I do like, the Indonesian Squire has as much tonality and strength and character. Of course I have great love for all of my guitars, one of the best - regardless of the price is that same economy priced guitar. I have paid a lot more for new and vintage guitars of all makes and had less satisfaction. Ease of use, range of sounds and the merging of player to instrument connection is natural and intuitive. Mine, worth ten times what I paid and in a simple word - it is a joy to own and play.