Standard Strat review by Squier

Squier: Standard Strat

Purchased from: Academy of Sound Glasgow

I play punk music mostly, or at least I did when I first got this guitar, my musical tastes have changed over the past four years but I still always end up back playing my stratand playnig a bit of Hendrix on it. Through the Marshall Micro Stack I've recently bought I think I may trully understand why the pairing of a Marshall stack and a Fender (or close approximation) was so important to the music community. The one problem I have with this guitar is that it does lose a considerable ammount of power when played clean in the bridge possition but the neck and all possitions before the bridge more than make up for the slightly less powerful sound at the bridge, however when played at the appropriate volume and with a major ammount of gain thrown into the mix this guitar trully comes into its own and could stand up to a Fender Strat rather easily.

I've had enough time with this guitar to know it intimately (hell I even woke up with it one morning) but I do know that this guitar will stand the test of time, even though its a budget guitar it definetly compares its more expensive Fender counterparts. A must for young players with as much experience as money and fans of guitars alike.

Can I just get one point across. This is a Stratocaster, these guitars have been used for playing live for over 50 years now. So any company that are quite capeable of producing guitars for well over 50 years and put as much effort into their sister company for over 20 must surley know what they're doing. I also own a Epi G-310 (stripped down version of the G-400). I've had the Epi for around 2 and a half years and the epi has taken a lot more damage, the Fat Strat is a solidly built very stable guitar. There may be many similarly priced Strat style guitars but none with the backing of Fender.

There really isn't much I can say bad about anything here. The guitar was well set up out of the shop, but as there was a custom shop on site (the guys pretty famous in Glasgow and my dad actually knows the guy). I would be very supprised if the guitar was in anything less than amazing condition.

The model I have was built in 2000 and constructed in China and is a Fat Strat model, it has 22 jumbo frets and has a standard 25.5" bolt-on neck. The body and neck are both maple and the fretboard is rosewood. The finish is a semi transparent idea where you can see the woodgrain through the paint. I have it in candyapple red but it also comes in Satin Pewter Metallic Black Metallic and Walnut Satin. You are provided with a single volume and 2 tone pots as is standard with most Stratocasters and the 5-way blade selector. The Fat Strat differs from the Standard Strat ION that it comes with a humbucker in the bridge position giving you that extra bite needed for heavier styles of music because lets face it singlecoils just ain't metal. The Fat Strat also carries the Fender Spaghetti signature and a pre CBS buyout 60s style headstock. Lets face it everybody who knows guitars has lusted after one of these guitars (albeit one of the slighty more expensive cousins) but lets face it the Strat is a classic and theres not a hell of a lot to complain about on the features side.