Standard Strat review by Squier

Squier: Standard Strat

Purchased from: Rock Steady Music Leeds

I have very varied music tastes (classic rock, metal, blues, Indie, shred) and this guitar seems to be able to match them well. I use a Zoom 606 multi FX unit and when thats combined with the effects on my amp it sounds great. The guitar does have a little buzz at high gain around 9 but thats normal for single coils. The pickups all sound different; the bridge is very trebly and bright and I need to dial in more bass on my amp when I use it. The middle pickup is a good balance of bass and treble. The neck pickup is nice and deep I use it the most for soloing etc. The inbetween pickup positions (neck and middle, bridge and middle) are helpful because they sound a little different to the middle but not too bassy or bright. A decent versatile guitar which sounds OK for the price.

I have been playing guitar for a year and a couple of months and this guitar does me well. It seems to be pretty well made for the money. If it were lost/stolen I would buy a Fender Telecaster they're brilliant guitars I'm after one now in fact. I chose this because it looked good on the website and for the price I'm happy with my choice. It matches my styles of music (see above) pretty well I'm pleased with it.

I think this guitar will withstand live playing it seems pretty robust and the hardware is of a good quality. The strap buttons are solid my good quality strap has only fallen off once in a year and I was sat down anyway. I would not gig without a backup you never know when your going to break a string. Overall seems pretty tough.

My guitar seemed to come out of the factory OK the action was high but it was my first guitar and Id never played any others and didnt want to go fiddling with things I knew nothing about. Later on I did lower the action though it feels way better. Everything seemed to be in working order but it needed the tuning of a lifetime when I got it went in and out of tune constantly.

This is your basic Strat style 3 controls (two tone one volume) five way pickup selector non locking bridge. It does the job as a starter guitar seems pretty reliable. This guitar also came with an OK Squier amp and a cheap lead. I have now upgraded the amp to the Marshall MG30DFX. A case was also included. I did not fit strap locks as the strap buttons seemed fine when I used a good quality strap.