Standard Strat review by Squier

Squier: Standard Strat

Purchased from: Carboot sale

The sound, where to begin. This guitar is absolutyl amazing. I'd say it sounds exactly the same, if not better to any other Fender Stratocaster I've heard. The pickups are warm and rich and subtle, but the harder you hit the strings the more it breaks up for a heavier blues sound. Only with 9 gauge strings fitted too. Currently I have a few amps (Marshall valvestate, Line 6 Spider II 212 and a 10 watt Squier practise amp) I'm going to shock you, but the Squier Strat and the little cheapo 10 watt practise amp with 2 band EQ and volume, it sounds simply amazing. I'm not kidding you, I've been playing guitar for 5 years and been involved with music for 10 years, I've never heard anything quite like it. The sound is identical to Hendrix's earlier hits like "Wind Cries Mary," "Hey Joe". Neck pickup is very bluesy and warm, while the middle setting is biting and full, and the bridge pickup is a little thin sounding, but just boost the gain a bit and your away. No noisy controls or anything. Certainly a lot more articulate then any humbucking guitar.

This is the best guitar I've ever owned. Any I've had about 20 guitars ranging from a custom project to a Fender to a Hondo to a Gibson. Amazing little thing. I would look out for another guitar just the same as this, but I doubt I'd strike gold like this one, it just seems to be right for me.

This guitar is built like a brick shit house. Almost identical to my 1994 japaneese 1962 reissue. I would play any gig with this guitar, it holds tune perfect. This is intresting as whoever had it last (like always) has lost the tremelo arm, not a problem, but what I really like is that the tremelo springs have been tightened to pull the tremelo flat to the body so it can't be moved from palm muting and also stops detuning in general. Good idea. I may get a tremelo arm and blance it back up again, but hardly anyone uses the tremelo unless you want crazy dive bombs like a floyd rose.

Well this guitar was secondhand, and had been used. Few minor things for example the frets are a tad worn at the basic chord positions like G, C, A, D etc. The guitar hasn't been played with or adjusted by the owner, it looks like everything was done by guitar shop workers. The neck has a few low frets afer the 14th fret on the neck, but it's fine. Machine heads were loose but I've sorted that out. One of the best guitar necks I have ever played, smooth fast comfy. Just a little bit of a high action on the 1st string, only from the radius roll off. All the woodwork is neatly done, no poor routing or hand chiseling in the pockets. everything as normal I geuss, pickups were well balanced. The paint finish on this guitar is flawlest perfect, better then most American fenders.

pie_man_25
    Erlend Johan wrote: Yeah...Slipknot sucks really hard...Korn also... I like metal, but only scandinavian.
    I like music, but only good
    kfong03
    get the fender, i have the fender and it owns, tones, playability, etc, ad it stays in tune for a long time, basically these squier copies are nothing compared to the fenders, it may be a bit more expensive, but the fender really owns
    stef123
    The squier is a great guitar for begginers but the fender stratocaster owns all guitars
    justin-vester
    I'ts my first electric guitar and some say it sounds even better than a Fender standard stratoscaster! Thumbs up for the Squier!
    LD1992
    i own an early korean squier, squiers get a lot better as they age mine is from 1990 and it has a vintage coloured neck now and sound and plays far better than my mates fender standard strat. I think u need to search around tho to get a really good distortion from a squier strat but the neck pickup just owns! STRATS RULE!!