Standard Strat review by Squier

Squier: Standard Strat

I use a Marshall MG15DFX with an EHX Small clone, EHX big muff and a Boss DS-1 Distortion running through it. As I say, it has a Duncan JB in the bridge pickup because I play mostly rock and with single coils it didn't do the trick. It really does sound fantastic with the JB and also the single coils in the middle and neck positions. You get good cleans, which is what Fender/Squier are famous for and also some really nice distortion/overdrive tones. Overall some real nice sounds from this guitar.

I've been playing guitar for just over 2 years now and for Nirvana which is what I play most of the time is a perfect match. It is so reliable-everything is so solid on it. It's a brilliant looking guitar and I'd never sell it. If it were stolen, I'd get another one or a Tele. Just brilliant sound and looks.

Fenders/Squiers are probably some of the most robust guitars you can buy. People have and play Fenders for years and nothing really goes wrong. If you've seen Kurt Cobain from Nirvana just throw a Fender Strat across the stage, most of the time it will still be in one piece and even from being thrown into a drum kit or into an amp is still perfectly playable. If I gigged I wouldn't have a problem with taking it at all. Fender and Squier models just have the reputation for being really reliable.

I had mine set up at the shop with the action lowered, truss rod adjusted etc. You can really tell it is well made which I've found with all Squiers I've played, even the cheaper beginner's ones. Everything is nicely done and the neck action is perfect- you can move around so easily on it. Just brilliantly put together. As for hardware. The tuners keep the guitar in tune but obviously with a tremolo as well the guitar can slip slightly out, but it's not really a big problem. All the controls and selectors haven't come off or buzz so that sort of stuff is good. The tremolo most of the time keeps the guitar in tune but every now again it goes slightly out, but with the good tuners on board it's not even too noticeable. Really well made guitar.

My Squier Strat is a 2004 crafted in China. It's a really nice sunburst with a tortoise shell pickguard and a 22 fret rosewood fingerboard. The Sunburst finish really is brilliant because you can see the wood underneath unlike some other sunburst guitars. It's got what I believe are Alnico or maybe even Squier branded pickups which sound good. I had a Seymour Duncan JB put in the bridge position to suit my style more.

jetwash69
    I can't vouch for the entire history of the "Standard Squier Srat" but these days they don't have 21 frets or 6-point trems like the second picture (black w/white guard). And they're made of agathasis, not alder. Some of the reviewers probably are actually writing about the more common Affinity or Bullet models. One of the Standard's best features is that unlike other Squier models, you can fit regular Stratocaster pick guards on it, whereas the others have all sorts of random dimensions--basically requiring a custom cut guard if you want to change it out or go with a different pickup config. I have a heavily modded Affinity, and was thinking about getting one of the Standards since it's got some of the nicer strat features like my MIA strat--22 frets, 2 point trem, thick body, etc. but everyone I've played has a really irritating tone to it--plugged in or not. Don't know if it's the agathasis or the hardware. The saddles look like they're made of low-density cast aluminum or plastic--maybe swap the bridge with an MIA and it'll be fine; but I don't know if the bridge would be a direct drop-in. The posts might not be compatible either. With Fender-Schaller locking tuners (the Squiers broke), a neck shim (luthier setup), a couple of humbuckers, and high-end Fender electronics (like they put in MIA Deluxes), my Affinity now plays just as well as my MIA Standard and I play it more because of the 'buckers. Just wish it had 22 frets like the Squier Standards.
    kiwi_metal
    I managed to get one 2nd hand off New Zealands auction site Trade Me for $57! What a fluke and what a hell of a guitar after a bit of work on the action. Definitely got me thinking about a Fender now. Rather play it than my Dean Flying V...