Standard Strat review by Squier

Squier: Standard Strat

Purchased from: Swap

I did a total revamp of the electronics of the guitar strating with the Volume and Tone Pots which were replaced with Fender 250K Split Pots. My reason for doing this is because, Squier makes these with 500K's which being the Strat purist that I am, I wanted my Strat to have all 100% Strat parts in it. Next I replaced the cheap 5 way switch with a USA made, Fender Strat 5 way pup switch after which I installed a set of Custom Shop 57/62 pickups. Now the sound and tone of this guitar is definitely on par with any MIA Fender Strat but for a fraction of what it would cost to buy a new one. I do have a 2006 MIA 60th Anniversary Model but, ever since I remodded this, that's been sitting in it's case while this one's been getting a ton of use. It sounds absolutely great.

Not that this was a bad guitar to begin with, because it wasn't, but I found that these are great for modding and the end result was definitely worth it. I highly recommend getting one of these if you're a beginner or are on a low budget. I personally think they're one of Fender's best kept secrets.

This one's a keeper that'll last me a lifetime. There's no doubt about that at all. I've already used it at several gigs as my main guitar with no problems at all. These are very well made instruments that will last, providing you take proper care of them.

The neck is well made with no edges sticking out and has that nice "C" profile to it, which I think has that early 60's feel to it. It was setup fine when I got it, but as I said, I just did a total rehaul with the electronics, so now it's like having a all new guitar. The action on it, is absolutely great and the stock tuners do a great job of maintaining tuning stability.

This is my 2nd review for this guitar. Mine is a 2008 Indonesian made model in the Metallic Black finish. It has a Maple neck and fretboard w/ 22 Medium Jumbo frets and stock Squier Lubricated Tuners. The body is made from Agathis and has a Volume and 2 Tone Controls, along with 3 single coil pickups which I'll get into later, because since my last review, I did a total rehaul of all of the electronics of the guitar.

kevinpaul
    I have a strat standard, Indonesia made Ilove it. I did a lot of mods. Ebony neck EMG pups and a lot more. The ones from China are junk and I had a new USA Strat and it was as bad as the China job. My days with them was like going to a Vo tech school.
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    Everyone who considers buying this should consider getting locking tuners cause of the tremolo and maybe to swap the pups. Other than that u don't need more modifications.