Starter Kit review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5.6 Decent
Squier: Starter Kit

Purchased from: Carroll

I've gotten quite a bit more experienced than when I first got the set. I decided to have some fun with the Strat and installed Seymour Duncan "Hotrails" in the bridge, put on GHS Boomers and now D'Adario 11 Gauge strings, and then spruced up the apperance with a pearloid pick guard and a fancy art strap. The guitar after these modifications sounds and looks excellent. Before these modifications though, the guitar is passive and very "low powered." A trill or hammer on is virtually impossible even with the amp and guitar at maximum volume. Any form of distortion on the bland single-coil's sounds terrifying and muddy; nothing cuts through the fuzz. The guitar with the supplied pickups and strings can play little more than "Smoke On The Water" and sound acceptable.

I play all types of music. With the guitar out of the box and without the modifications I have put on it, it is not good for all types of music. The only music you're going to be playing with skill is Mary Had a Little Lamb. I have been playing for going on two years now and I'm only now deciding that its time to get some more gear. I'll probably get a better Fender or Squier guitar and amp but I'll keep the Strat in this pack along with it. If the guitar and amp out of the package was stolen or lost I wouldn't bother and would try something else instead. If my guitar as it is modded today was stolen I would be angry and want it again. I don't have any favorite features with this package, it's all just OK. For the price and what it comes with, you can't complain, though. If there was one thing more this guitar should have is a bigger sound and richer tone.

The guitar now, after I fixed a few things, got a locking washer, replaced the pick guard and bridge pickup, and keep it well maintained, clean, and polished holds up great. It's durable and doesn't have a scratch on it other than a bit of wear on the finish where my elbow is near when playing. The strap buttons are solid but sometimes come loose and have to be tightened with a screwdriver. Because it's my only guitar at the moment I would not do a gig with it other than playing for friends, simply because although it is dependable it would be risky. The hardware and wiring inside is a bit shotty and covered in sawdust. The wires to one of my knobs/pots is partially broken for no apparent reason, making my tone knobs do close to nothing. The finish is fine although can be easily scratched and worn, therefore you need to take extra good care of the guitar if you want to maintain it's appearance.

The guitar out of the box was acceptable. The neck wasn't too bad. The action was a little bit high but when you're first starting you probably won't even know what the action is or that it is badly adjusted. The strings out of the box were crap to begin with, as they were Fender bullets and broke after a few weeks. An issue I had and only recently fixed was that the screw holes holding in the plate over the jack were worn out and it was constantly loose. The tuning pegs work great but when the strings are off the guitar they get very loose. The Pickup selector is noisy and sometimes "clicks" when you're switching through it although single coils hum anyway.

15 watt Frontman amp, 21-fret Strat, tuner, gig bag, picks, strap, book, cable, and a replacement spring & strings. This package comes with everything you need to begin playing guitar, but it sure has no frills. The Frontman amp is great for beginning players but if used with the supplied guitar it will sound rather flat. The gain on the amp is horrific and makes more fuzz and noise than crunch. I had to return my first Frontman after it died for no reason but the second Frontman I own works like it should; hardly. The guitar itself is a fairly good basic instrument. If you are using what comes in the package and not planning to add anything to it, you'll get a brite, noisy instrument. In fact, the pickups in the guitar are so bland that if you don't change atleast the bridge you'll be left dissapointed if you ever rise above the title of beginner. An overall very passive sound, but for the price, what more could you ask?

dant-33
    i have been using this guitar NON-STOP for 3 years, and it means the world to me!! i agree with some of the stuff that is sed and i think mine has had its time im gunna get a bc rich instead but it is a good guitar for beginners
    fender_rules728
    i have this... i've been playing for a year with it. its good for a starter guitar but its really not that good
    Anders88
    i've been using this guitar just about every day for the last 2 years.. i think i might actually be a better guitar player having endured it lol buy a decend amp or an effects board and it sounds alright
    metal jello
    Scarface735 wrote: never heard of this. send in a picture please!!
    Trust me, you don't want to see this, but an Austin ERA Professional.
    asaladybug
    i have had this guitar for almost a year and after going and playing other axes on other amps this one is a piece of crap but if you are broke and stupid it is good
    jakecko17
    it might cost a teeny weeny bit more but a Yamaha Pacifica 112, its 100x better and makes a gret 1st guitar.
    Decembero
    Ive had this guitar for 7 years, and it still works like a f*cking dream. I got it with a 15watt Fender frontman and that f*cking broke earlier this year, ghey!
    jacobparker
    Meh. I bought it for like 215, The amp sucked, replaced it with a spider III 75, it sounds a lot better now, but guitar is still shit, **** loads of feed back, sometimes even ringing because of it, happens on all pick-ups. Going to replace with a minarik inferno. I guess if you just want to muck around with something and you don't care about sound quality, but this, but if you do care about sound quality, remember: but cheap, buy twice.