Strat review by Squier

Squier: Strat

I play loads of styles of music from blues to metal and back again. This guitar suits pretty much all that I play. I run it through a Fender Frontman 15G amp and it sounds good on clean tone, yet the distortion is a bit crap unless you play through the bride pickup.

I play all styles apart from jazz and this is great for all of them. I've only been playing for about 11 months and this is the only guitar I own and it is a great starter guitar or a guitar for a guitarist who doesn't have deep pockets. If it were stolen I'd probably get an SG because those things rule but for now it's just fine.

This guitar has withstood playing live without a backup twice so far. In fact, I was in a battle of the bands competition recently (which my band won and keep the trophy on my kitchen windowsill) and the girl in the other bands string broke, so I lent her my guitar, which performed excellently if I do say so myself. I wouldn't usually use it without a backup, but at the moment I don't have a backup so I have to but I think it would withstand playing without a backup.

The action for me is just perfect, not too high, not too low. The pickups were fine apart from what I mentioned earlier about the distortion being a bit crap unless you play it through the bridge pickup. The tuners are fine but the strap buttons are a bit wobbly and the top fell off the five way selector recently.

I think this model was made in 2004 not sure where it was made. It is black with a tremolo arm (being an english guy I say tremolo arm as opposed to whammy bar but they mean the same thing) and a 5-way selector Switch. It has 3 single coil pickups.