Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Strat

Purchased from: ToysRus lol

Well it is a Squier so don't expect miracles but it's done me well for the past 3 years. The pickups have very little tonal difference between them like you would expect from better quality guitars. The bridge pick up can give out some decent distortion and I find it it's not bad for the palm muting style you hear on pop punk. I don't ever use the middle pickup I've just put it as low as it will go so it's out of the way:]it doesn't really have a purpose and the tone is really a bit pointless. Neckpick up can be good for "solos" and I like to turn it's tone all the way down which gives a nice warm sound, other wise there is little difference from the bridge. The 5 way selector Switch has very little effect on the tone at all, so there's no point in putting it at the 2nd and 4th position, to get. The tone of 2 pickups because you really won't be able to tell. The tone knobs also have little effect, other than if you put them full on 10 or off at 0, anything in between don't change the tone at all. I have been playing through the squire 10 watt practice amp that it came with, and if you mess around with the settings and guitar enough you can get a nice sound. I did once play it through a 100watt Vox and it improves the sound 10 fold, but still nothing amazing. The clean tone from this isn't half bad if you volumes low, I like to play country and blues. Playing with distortion there is interference.

I play Metal like Lamb Of God and pantera but it doesn't really have the crunch for anything past like Linkin Park. For punk like Greenday or Agent Orange it would be suitable. Country and blues play well on the neck pickup. I have been playing for 3 years and I now own a Epiphone Les Paul Studio which I'm much more in love with. I would'nt have asked anything before getting this because I was rather young and naive. If it was stolen I wouldn't be happy but I wouldn't cry about it really. I love it's reliability but I hate it's pickups. I wish it had some hum buckers but I wouldn't waste money moding this. If you are a beginner I would highly recommend this guitar because you won't tell. The difference or really care about features such as pick up tone and action.

The Strat is a very reliable guitar and it hasn't broken on me yet even though it's been dropped countless times and kicked a few others. The hard wear is surprisingly good quality and has showed no sign of rusting or braking even though I don't look after my guitar. I may take it to a gig because it's reliable and never suddenly stops working like so many other budget guitars but as I've said before it's a squire so no. It probably wouldn't stay in tune for more than a song.

I can't remember what it was like when I got it. A high action is suggested to stop fret buzzing and adjust the pickups so they are high at the bass strings and lower at the treble strings as a kinda crude tone control. the tuning pegs can become lose and easily knocked outta tune but simply tightening them will solve this, at least for a day or two. I sometimes have to tune my guitar 4 or 5 times before it actually stays in the tuning I want. The bridge is good quality but I need to loosen the screws and raise it well above the guitar so I can use the tremelo arm, to increse the string pitch. Playing this guitar is tiring and barrechords are really hard to play for any amount of time, and even after adjusting the truss rod a thousand times the Relief is anything but comfortable.

Erlend Johan
    Well, i got one of these, it DOES NOT GO OUT OF BEND SO FAST, unless you play with a 2.00 mm plectrum o_O It is prodably the highest quality beginner guitar. Sorry for grammatic wrongs, im not english.
    God Page 463
    Squier is terrible, I played one of my friends squier and laughed for 20 minutes straight. I laughed because he said "get ready for a great sound"
    God Page 463
    By the way, erland, while this isn't by any means horiffic as a beginner guitar, there are better ones out there. Why buy this if you'll just end up buying another one when you become a better player? I would probably suggest getting a guitar that will last you through most of your skill levels. I'm not saying get a $1000+ gibson, but a $350 quality guitar wouldn't hurt anybody. My first guitar was the epiphone les paul black beauty, which I got with a gibson case for only $410. It's still my only electric guitar.
    TheCalvinator
    screw spendigng close to 200 on this guitar save up and just buy a Fender mexican strat or something with a bucker...
    Erlend Johan
    I will tell you something, sit back, and relax. Ibanez'es are crappy guitars, once its foggy in the room, the neck(who is cut in two parts, and glued together) will get unstabile, and you have to pay 100 dollars for a new neck. And you can get good squiers, like the showmaster!
    Erlend Johan
    Or 150 dollars for service. Tip: say to the dealers that you want other tuning mechanisms once you buy the guitar, and it will get cheaper, while the dealers have to give it to you for free, that was the thing i did.