Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Squier: Strat

Humbucker has an everpresent buzz which is annoying during rests, but otherwise sounds ok, especially when mated with a tube amp. Other pickups work fine. Low E string doesn't stay in tune, especially when using the whammy bar a lot, other strings keep their tune pretty good for a while, although it does tend to go out of tune if left for a while. The whole guitar is actually quite difficult tune from scratch, I keep having to go back and retune strings during the tuning process, which can take a while. I tend to use this guitar most with just a 60W Fender red knob tube amp, although I run it through an old DigiTech RP-1 if I need additional effects. Over all the guitar seems fairly versitile, with a good bright sound using the bridge pickup that's good for metal and heavy distorted rock, and the humbucker doing a good job for a more grungy/bluesy sound (aside from the buzz that is very annoying).

I've been playing since 2000, and honestly this is the best guitar I've owned. It's also only the second guitar I've ever owned, my first one being a really crappy one I bought off my buddy for $25, so I haven't had a good comparison. It's a good beginners guitar, or a guitar for that last song of the set when you want to smash it afterwards. It plays well for rock, metal, blues, etc. provided you have decent pedals and amps to back it up. I have done pretty well with it over the past 2 years. However, I think my next guitar will definatly be something more upscale then this though. Maybe a real Fender Strat.

Aside from the above gripes, this guitar should hold up fairly well to the odd Live gig. I wouldn't want to have to rely on it for touring though. This may be just the fault of the strap I have on it, but every now and then it slips off the strap button, and I've almost dropped the guitar a few times. The finish is fairly good, I have no scraches on the body which is pretty good considering that I abuse the guitar a fair bit. The pick guard, on the other hand, seems to scratch pretty easily, like they made it out of really cheap soft plastic. Again, this may be more noticible because of the mirrored guard, but you would think they would make the guard out of harder plastic then the picks! Despite it's faults, the guitar has been fairly reliable until the other day, when it quit working. Took it apart, thinking the wires were loose, however, everything looked good on the inside. Aside from the sawdust that is.

I was dissapointed with the build quality of this guitar. I don't care if it is a cheap model, the build quality and factory setup needs work. My pickguard had a crack in it radiating from one of the screw holes (very noticible with the mirrored pickguard). I ordered a new one from Fender and they sent me the wrong one (different colour, slightly different screw pattern). Playing high up on the fretboard sounds like crap, strings make a horible buzzing sound, especially on the lower strings. The controls became very loose. After two years, the guitar suddenly stopped playing, so I took it appart thinking a wire came loose or something. The insides were covered in sawdust! Again, I understand that it's a cheap guitar, but still! I'm pretty sure you can make a $400.00 guitar and not have any of these problems.

Bought it in 2005, Black with mirrored pick guard, 2 single coil pickups + bridge humbucker, 3 chromed knobs + 5-way selector. Looks great, but upon closer inspection the quality obviously isn't there (but then again, what do you expect from a $400.00 guitar).

Bottomfeedr91
    I started out on one and ive gotta say for the price it's a really good guitar for the price and with some finess like new pickups and some skill u can use it for about anything it's a really great guitar
    KidsHussla
    ive got one of these also and it's my first electric guitar... Got it like 5 months now.. It's a great beginner guitar , but i allready played a long time acoustic guitar and i can play difficult riffs... so this guitar isnt good anymore lol i'm now going to buy a dean dimebag..
    alecj72450
    pay no attention to my review, this guitar is good for beginners, but otherwise a peice of crap. Get a better one as your skills get better.
    pto654
    Like most people i got this guitar for around $270. It was my first guitar, so i blindly thought it was great for a while...man i was wrong. I got the starter pack with the Fender Frontman 15G, which i really need to replace quick, and was just happy to have a guitar. Then i got my Dean MLX, what a difference. The bass isn't too good on the squier and the tone is just awful. So i took the squier apart and i am planning on painting it, and getting new pickups and such
    g-griezejs
    God Page 463 wrote: Squier is terrible, I played one of my friends squier and laughed for 20 minutes straight. I laughed because he said "get ready for a great sound"
    LOL xD Great sound... I would have Laughed My Ass Off while Rolling On the Floor Laughing xD . I have also played that thing (well Squier makes cheaper copies of Fenders strats so a copy guitar by Career probably is the same thing) and it's just funny.. Tapping is impossible, sound is weak and I just simply don't like the headstock.. sorry Squier
    low-fidelity
    Everyone relax. This is a guitar for people who don't want to throw down alot of cash for something they have never done. It is only sold to grab these people. There is alot of them, including me. So breath deep, and stop worrying about it so much.
    meinsane
    my first, and for now my only guitar (hope not for too long XD). it's definitely not the greatest guitar, everyone knows that, but she has a soul... use some good gear with it and you'll get a much better sound than you think..
    flyingjo21
    I got mine with a 10w B.B. Blaster amp for around $75 from a friend of a friend. It's the first electric I've owned and I can't wait to upgrade. I've tried playing it in a band and it sounded so out of tune with the other instruments. The output jack really sucks as it comes unscrewed all the time so I have to unscrew the cover to fix it. I'm not sure what to get next but it won't be anything made in China....