Strat Pack review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Squier: Strat Pack

Purchased from: Suncoast Music

The sound of the guitar and amp in the Strat Pack is poor. But, if you are just beggining, you won't be able to tell the difference. In my opinion, the sound is flat, it just seems like something is missing. The tone is ok. The amp's distortion is decent, but there is no gain controll, so you have to piddle around with the bass and treble controlls to change the gain.

I have been playing for 4 years. I play classical for my private lessons, and I play 80's metal (black sabbath, AC/DC, Hendrix etc). I own a 25RW Ibanez amp, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, a Washburn 7-string guitar (btw, don't buy a 7-string guitar unless you specifically need 7-strings to play Korn, or Trapt), and an Ibanez Jazz box. Bottom line, THIS GUITAR IS FOR BEGINNERS WHO DON'T KNOW THE DO'S AND DONT'S OF BUYING GUITARS. If you are looking into playing guitar for you're first time, and you need a guitar, this is a great choice. For beginners, it gives you everything that you need. Down the road, you may want to buy a new guitar, and amp. But, for the first 2 or 3 years, that's not necessary. Often times, buying guitars, and guitar gear, can be confusing to new buyers. With this package you can't go wrong. I believe that it has a 1 or 2 year warranty, so, you won't have to worry about going out and paying to fix it right out of the box. Some adjustments may be necessary, but for the most part, the guitar is set up quite nicely for a youngster. So, all in all, this is definitely something to look at for a first timer.

As far as the Durability of the Squire Strat Pack goes, I am pretty disappointed. I have had this product for four years. And so far, some electric hardware inside of the guitar has becomed oxidized, the output jack has become loose and in result, wiring was torn and had to be re-sottered back on. After I had that fixed, I STILL have problems with keeping the signal between my guitar and amp. I have tried different chords, different amps, everything. I haven't had too many problems with the amp. The only real problem that I've ever had with it is that the input jack is stripped, but it still works. I would HIGLY reccomend that you do NOT use this guitar or amp for a gig. 1) The guitar will lose it's signal and 2) The amp just plain isnt' even half as big or loud as it would need to be.

The finish is plain. Nothing special. As far as I could tell, the guitar was decently built. Right out of the box, the guitar seemed pretty standard. However, I have noticed a few loose tuners, but nothing that can't be fixed.

The Squire Strat Pack comes with a Squire Stratocaster, a Squire amp, a few sets of strings, picks, a strap, a gig bag, a chord,a tuner, and an instructional video. As with all squire brand products, everything is made in China. Guitar: The guitar has a 5-way selector Switch, and 3 tone controlls(volume, bass, and treble). There are 21 frets. The standard tuners are chep, non-locking tuners. The pickups are low quality humbuckers. Amplifier: The amp is a combo, 8" solid state practice amp. Features on the amp include; volume control, bass and treble controlls, an overdrive on/off button, and a headphone out jack. The amp is about 10 watts, not much power, but all you need for practicing in a small room.