Strat Pack review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Squier: Strat Pack

Purchased from: Dekkar Music

It has a good classic rock tone. When I played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, on it, it sounded almost exactly like the recording. I would say it can play anything from jazz to grunge. The amp is the best small amp I've ever seen or played. Without the distortion, it is a light full sound, but with it, there is a dark, rich tone to it.

We both play metal, rock, grunge, and punk. It's a good match for all but the metal. I've been playing about a year and a half, so my opinion isn't the best, but this review is from the best of my knowlege. I own a Fender Standard Jazz Bass, so this is deffinately not all my expertise. If it were lost or stolen, I'd assume my friend would want to buy a better one. We both love the amp, but the guitar is mediocre. I would compare it to an Epiphone SG pack, or Ibanez Jumpstart pack. I think the cable and strap could've been better though.

It's not going to be up on stage with Slash or anything, but it's a good backup guitar. It looks like the hardware will do for a while. The strap buttons are tough. It's a good reliable backup guitar, it doesn't seem like it'll last forever though.

The pickups, bridge, and action, were all average, it was a starter pack so it wasn't all that special. The input socket was a little loose and it needed to be tightened. When my friend changed the strings on it, it was difficult to put them through the body.

It's not my guitar, it's a friend's. I'm a bass player so this is from my perspective. I'm not quite sure what year it was made, but it is a Squier, so it's a Japanese/American project. 21 frets, solid-top, rosewood fretboard with a maple neck, alder body. It was a solid-finish colbat blue. It is a Affinity-style Strat with a standard tremolo bridge. Passive electronics, volume-tone-tone controls and a 5-way selector. 3 stock single-coil pickups. Non-locking grover tuners. It was a combo pack so it came with the guitar, amp, gig bag, strap, cable, picks, and an instructional booklet. Aside from the guitar, the only good quality item was the amplifier, it's a cheap 15-watt, but it has built in distortion so it can be as loud as any 40 or 50-watt.