Strat Pack review by Squier

Squier: Strat Pack

Purchased from: Muso's Corner

The guitar is good. Some will say it's crap, but some a dumb and lie. It's not a great guitar but through the amp in a small room, uyou get some good sounds. My friend/guitar teacher had to borrow it for a few songs at a gig his band was doing, and the guitar sounded quite good through his all tube Marshall stack (not sure what model it is, but it was Marshall so yeah, you get it). The only problem I have with it is it's a bit tinny, it's kinda hard to get good heavy solid sounds out of it. But as a first electric guitar or maybe even second (depending on what you started with), this guitar is good. The Frontman amp is a geat practise amp, it's great for small rooms but for stage crap. The clean channel might be okay but I have never used the clean channel on stage so I don't know. I would rather a Marshall MG15MSII (they sound as good as they look: friggen awesome) as a practise amp but this is good.

This pack is quite possibly the best electric guitar starter pack you can buy, at an affordable price considering all the stuff you get with it. Most pack come with tiny 10 watt amps but this one has a 15 watt amp that is useable on stage (just sounds messy and crap). As a practise amp, great. If you want to learn guitar, get this pack cause it's great. If you want to get an electric and know how to play already, but don't have an electric, get this pack.

The hardware does seem like it will last, especially the amp. I play just about every week at my church and youth group and have been doing that for about 8 months now, so I guess it can with stand live playing. It's the only guitar I own at the moment so it's gonna have to last me until I get my Epiphone Les Paul. I have to play it without back up, but I am happy to do so, I just wish I didn't have to use the frontman amp on stage though, which I'm not happy to do so. The strap buttons are solid and the finish is good, I play wearing jeans quite often (I wear jeans alot) and the buttons and studs on my jeans scratch the back of the guitar but thats all, scratches. The finish doesn't wear off.

I do very much like the quality of the look and feel of the guitar. The action was alright out of the box but I have had it lowered since, and much prefer it. The nut on the input jack came loose after about 2 weeks, so I got it fixed by friends, now when it happens I do it myself, but it does still some loose. Also the screw hole on the jack plate needed fixing because the threading was stripped, but it was covered by warranty. Everything else was fine and great.

I have no idea when or where this guitar was made, but I know it has 21 frets, and has a Strat body (the guitar is a Squier Affinity Strat), with a string-thru body bridge. It's got a volume knob and two tone knobs for for the bridge and neck. It's also got a 5-way selector and three single coil pick ups. The amp is a Fender Frontman 15G, which is a great little practise amp, with a great clean channel (although I don't use it too much) and an overdrive channel that delivers some good sounds but is quite gainy. Other stuff includes a beginers booklet, picks strings, strap, gig bag, headphones lead and various other tools. For features, you can't get a better starter pack (that I know of).