Tele Custom review by Squier

Squier: Tele Custom

Purchased from: Lorient France

Various styles, soft rock thru blues to pop-rock. This guitar is played through either a Valvetronix ADVT30 or a Line6 Spider II 210, or direct into a Zoom MRS-1608 desk. Occasionally boost it thru a Vox Tonelab SE. Contrary to the previous review I have no problem at all with noise or interference from other electrical equipment, quite the opposite, the sound is clear and clean though a bit lacking in the brighter tones. On some settings produces an excellent "jazz" tone and a great bluesy tone. Wouldn't recommend it for anything metal or thrash-like though.

Let's be fair, this is a budget instrument. I actually bought it on a whim after trying it in the store (to kill half an hour waiting for the wife to finish her shopping) and was amazed by the tonal quality and playability which is way above its price-tag. I have a reasonable collection of "upmarket" guitars costing much more (Starfields, Godin, Gibson, Fender) and whilst this obviously isn't as good it is not as far behind as the price would lead you believe. I would definitely replace it if stolen but only after testing another as I suspect there are quality variances between each individual instrument. I think you'd be hard pushed to get better value for money therefore overall it has be be a "10."

The construction is robust and everything seems built to last. I didn't buy it to gig with as I use other guitars for this, just to use at home in my small studio. However, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't survive fairly rigourous treatment.

Set up was perfect from the dealer, no complaints whatsoever. The maple neck is excellent and the guitar has a super-slick action.