Tele Custom review by Squier

Squier: Tele Custom

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

As soon as this came in, I did a truss rod adjustment, tightened the hardware, and did a intonation check on it. Once I did all of that, I pluggeed it into my Peavey Studio Pro 112, and it produced a nice twangy tele tone on the clean channel, and once I turned on the distortion channel, it just tore the place up.These pups on this guitar can sing, and I don't see why some people feel the need to knock this guitar. I think it's one of the best that Squier has ever made.

I play classic rock and blues, and this is a great guitar for that genre of music. If this was stolen or lost I would definately get another one. I have been playing for over 35 years and this is a welcome addition to my arsenal, which now consists of a 2006 MIM Fender Sunburst Strat, a heavily modded Epiphone LP Jr., a 1997 USA made, Peavey Studio Pro 112, and a DigiTech RP50. I think that's more than enough gear for now.

I believe that I could use this at a gig without having any problems at all. I am intending to use this as a backup to my 2006 MIM Sunburst Strat, anyway. I double checked everything, and it seems that there are no flaws or problems to worry about with this fine guitar. I believe that I could use just this at a gig without any backup.

The action on this was very high off the neck, and the pickups weren't adjusted properly, either. My model doesn't have any flaws like frets sticking out, lousy wiring, etc. I must've gotten one of the good ones, because aside from the set up and slight adjustments that I did, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this guitar. I did have to put it back in the box though, because this is a X-mas present from my wife and I don't want her to know that I already tried it out.

Mine is a Indonesian made model, and as far as the year, I'm not sure. I would have to look it up on Fender's web site. I believe that this has a agathis body, along with 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, and 2 humbuckers.The brudge on it is a set bridge and has a 5 way pup selector switch. It has that classic Telecaster style, along with a beautiful, black finish.

devinbryndel
    my Squier Standard Fat Strat sounds better than my friends Epi LP Custom so eat that epi fans! haha and we have the same amps so dont blame it on that! i think Squier has somehting good going here! and it's a good guitar to buy and customize and you don't have to be afraid of busting cause it's a cheaper model! so play hard with it! my standard fat is a dream
    tru_harmony
    ripjoestrummer
    tru_harmony wrote: i just got this guitar last year and the humbuckers rule. It's my first squier, nothing evil in here
    ditto, I love it
    trivium_rock
    yea ive got this guitar and love it....agh the warmth of the neck pickup with the volume on about 9 and the tone on 4/5 hoents its amazing (i play blues)
    GaryStack
    I'm a 30-year pro player and recording engineer who has and does own everything from this guitar to 5000-dollar Gibsons... a couple of points... A: The Epiphones and Squires are as different as the upscale Gibsons and Fenders they're based on, making a comparison virtually MEANINGLESS! Which one would suit you depends FAR more on what style you play and what sound you're looking for. B: I own the "Custom II" version of this guitar with P-90's, and also have an Epi Dot Deluxe... They BOTH needed proper setup out of the box, and now BOTH play exceptionally well (Even my $4900 Les Paul needed to be properly set-up!) They have quite different sounds, and work well for different styles. Let's put it THIS way... if you're planning to play extremely heavy stuff, get the Epi... if you're more into blues or classic rock, The Tele may be a better bet. I strongly suggest you try the p-90 version, especially if you like that early Elvis Costello kinda 'honk' tone. It also does Rockabilly exceptionally well, and with the p-90's, you can get a TON of great 60's and 70's tones, from classic Beatles (who actually used an EPIPHONE Casino with P-90's for a lot of their mid-career recordings) to that great trashy Neil Young sound.
    thejazzman
    mp3stalin wrote: Vanilli704 wrote: chillie pepper wrote: im torn between this and an Epiphone les Paul dude, a squier anything is sooo far below the LP.. get the les paul dude, please hate to rain on his parade but squiers are great quality and a fourth the price of a epi. unless you just REALLY like LPs... get this.
    It's great and so is the les paul, but if you play more twangy country, blues, folk and indie stuff, get yourself the telecaster. If you play more blues, rock, metal and jazz, get yourself the les paul.