Tele Custom review by Squier

Squier: Tele Custom

Purchased from: The Trading Musician

The sound of the original Seymour Duncan P90-2s is balanced. They were silent, they were loud, they sounded like, well really good. Then I flip the toggle to bridge. BZZZZZZZZZZZ. Neck. BZZZZZZZZZ. Back to the middle! Once again it was quiet and dreamy. I later fixed this by messing with the innards. Still buzzy but now a lower case buzz. These pickups make up for the hardware, in my opinion they are some of the best pups I've used. Sad, right? But only on the middle position. They do well on distortion/overdrive.

I have been playing for 18 out of my 21 years of life. I play hard rock/alternative and I've dabbled in punk. This baby works on all musical levels. My instrumental mainstay is a 1959 Les Paul Special with a retro-fitted Bigsby unit. I love this guitar so much. Even though you have to pick a fight with it sometimes, it's worth it because it gives your music a good feeling. My favorite part of it is... everything now that its been upgraded, but over the long run its durability. The only thing I wish it had is a Bigsby, and that is soon to come. If anyone steals this guitar from me I would track them down, rip out their throat, shove it back in somewhere then take a knife and stick it in their head. Okay I would just go buy another and put all of the upgrades back in, but you get the picture. Don't steal my guitar.

I believe I could take this guitar on a gig. I would throw it around on my ghetto strap locks. The hardware is long gone. It didn't last at all. I wouldn't gig on it without a backup as it is my backup! But if my Gibby was in the shop I would take out by itself. Pleasantly surprised by that.

I didn't get it from the factory, but the nut was poor, and the action matched. The pickups were too low so I raised them. Everything else about the "action fit and finish" was good. The finish is surprisingly good considering its traveled from Alaska to Florida and back in a shi- bad case (cold, dry- warm, extremely moist). Gotta use some more characters... that oughta be good.

My Squier Tele Custom was built in Indonesia by Cort for Squier in 2003. The body is solid agathis, the neck is maple with a maple fretboard. The neck is finished with some strange finish I can never remember what it is, but it is spotty and allows hand sweat to stain the neck (a look I actually enjoy as it makes it look aged). I have upgraded everything about this guitar aside from the neck and body, but I remember the original tuners would slip alot, the retro amp knobs were cheap plastic and the nut was inexcusably high. The only parts I have kept are the jack plug (soon to be replaced) and the toggle itself, with the cap not an original piece from the day I bought it. These features were to say the most, disappointing. Although I don't like the hardware that came with this guitar, the neck, body and pickguard all look terrific. Still that can only do so much for you.