Tele Custom Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 09/29/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Tele Custom
The Telecaster Custom is a value priced version of one of the most popular Telecaster designs. It's a real Fender designed Tele and this limited run instrument captures a classic sought-after look at an outstanding value.
 7.9
 8,254
reviews (10) 51 comments vote for this gear:
Tele Custom Reviewed by: AMERICAN PRICK, on september 29, 2005

Purchased from: Rimmers

Features: This guitar is built in Indonesia. It has 22 frets, 21 of them accessible for comfortable playing. With a solid top, I think. Chrome machine heads and a black Tele Custom '71 style body, black Enamel finish and Tele style bridge. Two volume and two tone controls (three way). The two pickups are Duncan designed but they are too sensitive picking up most electrical devices. // 7

Sound: The guitar picks up most electronic devices an especially computer, the guitar is supposed to be a rock and roll guitar but I'm not sure. It is noisy on most setting and this can be especially annoying if you have a descent amp, the guitar is capable of good distortion. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up poorly in the factory with poor strings the wiring can be off. The tension should be immediately lowered for easier playing. There are no obvious flaws except for the wiring, which can mean it can be poorly earthed. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems solid to an extent but the guitar could not gig it is just not up to it. I don't think this guitar will last for more than 2 or 3 years before it falls apart. // 5

Overall Impression: The thing I really love about this guitar is the body shape and the fact it's not a Strat. I would not recommend this guitar really, unless you had a descent pair of hum buckers installed. If this guitar were stolen, I would probably save up for a Gibson. // 7

Tele Custom Reviewed by: jollyhols, on october 03, 2005

Purchased from: Lorient France

Sound: Various styles, soft rock thru blues to pop-rock. This guitar is played through either a Valvetronix ADVT30 or a Line6 Spider II 210, or direct into a Zoom MRS-1608 desk. Occasionally boost it thru a Vox Tonelab SE. Contrary to the previous review I have no problem at all with noise or interference from other electrical equipment, quite the opposite, the sound is clear and clean though a bit lacking in the brighter tones. On some settings produces an excellent "jazz" tone and a great bluesy tone. Wouldn't recommend it for anything metal or thrash-like though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up was perfect from the dealer, no complaints whatsoever. The maple neck is excellent and the guitar has a super-slick action. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The construction is robust and everything seems built to last. I didn't buy it to gig with as I use other guitars for this, just to use at home in my small studio. However, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't survive fairly rigourous treatment. // 8

Overall Impression: Let's be fair, this is a budget instrument. I actually bought it on a whim after trying it in the store (to kill half an hour waiting for the wife to finish her shopping) and was amazed by the tonal quality and playability which is way above its price-tag. I have a reasonable collection of "upmarket" guitars costing much more (Starfields, Godin, Gibson, Fender) and whilst this obviously isn't as good it is not as far behind as the price would lead you believe. I would definitely replace it if stolen but only after testing another as I suspect there are quality variances between each individual instrument. I think you'd be hard pushed to get better value for money therefore overall it has be be a "10." // 10

Tele Custom Reviewed by: SumFan98, on august 24, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: Made in Indonesia, this Squier is probably the best cheap guitar I've ever played. It sticks to the traditional 22 fret count, but you can reach all frets with ease and comfort. Being a Telecaster, you can play for hours sitting, or standing and not have to adjust in your seat or worry about it sliding out of your lap. It doesn't have locking tuners, but hey, if you're too lazy to tune your guitar every now and then, that's your problem. I've never found it taking up too much time. Equipped with dual humbuckers, expect to get a strong, clean-cut tone. I'd definitely buy some strap locks if you plan on performing while standing. The strap buttons tend to let your strap slip off on occasion. // 8

Sound: I play anything, but I normally find this to be best used for punk or blues. I took off the stock strings and put Elixir Polywebs, and now it plays clear as a bell. It even sounds good on my Guitar Research VL-20, for whenever I decide to play a nice soft concert for the grandparents. I use the DigiTech RP-80 Guitar Modeler/Processor. There's a few effects that could use some tweaking to fit this guitar, but I find most of them quality to perform them. It may just be the strings, but it doesn't give a good sound when you use harmonics or do a pick scrape. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is a beautiful guitar in general. If you keep it pampered, you will always catch some eyes when you whip it out in public. The black body with the black pickguard, accented with a white trim, tends to give this Tele an intimidating look. But, I did encounter a few flaws. The input jack tends to come loose and wiggle around, and occasionally you will lose sound. Since it is a Tele, the input jack is inside the guitar and you have to take it apart to fix it, causing a hassle. Another flaw I found was that the 2nd fret on the D string has a real raunchy sound to it. Like nails on a chalk board. When played alone, it sticks out like a sore thumb. But, if you're just doing a power chord, the noise gets drowned out. This is probably just a flaw on my particular guitar. If you can, test out all the frets before you purchase. But you should do that with any guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think this could definitely be a good guitar to play live. I would definitely buy strap locks, as mentioned earlier. Also, be sure to tighten the input jack before you take it up onstage. You don't want it to fall out on you and have to stop the show. Always polish it, and you should be in good shape. I would have to say that you should definitely bring a backup guitar. It's a good guitar, but it's not good enough to second-guess it. // 9

Overall Impression: My band typically plays alternative, rock and punk. This guitar can stand up to it. If you think it's too plain, just slap some stickers on it and cover it with laminate. It's only 250 bucks. I do wish I had checked all the frets before buying this. Well, that about sums it up. It definitely provides a lot of bang for the buck. Keep it clean, do routine maintenance, and prepare yourself for a long lasting relationship with your Tele. // 8

Tele Custom Reviewed by: jeffo46, on december 14, 2007

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Mine is a Indonesian made model, and as far as the year, I'm not sure. I would have to look it up on Fender's web site. I believe that this has a agathis body, along with 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, and 2 humbuckers.The brudge on it is a set bridge and has a 5 way pup selector switch. It has that classic Telecaster style, along with a beautiful, black finish. // 9

Sound: As soon as this came in, I did a truss rod adjustment, tightened the hardware, and did a intonation check on it. Once I did all of that, I pluggeed it into my Peavey Studio Pro 112, and it produced a nice twangy tele tone on the clean channel, and once I turned on the distortion channel, it just tore the place up.These pups on this guitar can sing, and I don't see why some people feel the need to knock this guitar. I think it's one of the best that Squier has ever made. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this was very high off the neck, and the pickups weren't adjusted properly, either. My model doesn't have any flaws like frets sticking out, lousy wiring, etc. I must've gotten one of the good ones, because aside from the set up and slight adjustments that I did, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this guitar. I did have to put it back in the box though, because this is a X-mas present from my wife and I don't want her to know that I already tried it out. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I believe that I could use this at a gig without having any problems at all. I am intending to use this as a backup to my 2006 MIM Sunburst Strat, anyway. I double checked everything, and it seems that there are no flaws or problems to worry about with this fine guitar. I believe that I could use just this at a gig without any backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and blues, and this is a great guitar for that genre of music. If this was stolen or lost I would definately get another one. I have been playing for over 35 years and this is a welcome addition to my arsenal, which now consists of a 2006 MIM Fender Sunburst Strat, a heavily modded Epiphone LP Jr., a 1997 USA made, Peavey Studio Pro 112, and a DigiTech RP50. I think that's more than enough gear for now. // 9

Tele Custom Reviewed by: boboguitar, on august 17, 2006

Sound: I like to play mostly hard rock kind of stuff. I can play it fine with this guitar, as it distorts very well. I'm using with a Roland Micro Cube and a Boss MT-2 pedal. It can get pretty loud if you turn the volume high. It can make mostly hard rock and metal sound if you use distortion with it, which this guitar seems to be made for. It can't make a lot of sounds, but a pretty good amount. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar seems like it's pretty well put together. The only problem I see is the volume and tone knobs, which are pretty loose (it might just be the one I have). The action is great, and so were the pickups. As far as I can tell I didn't see any major flaws (except the plug in which you'll read about later). It seemed like everything was in line to me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty durable, except for the plug in. One day I was taking my cord out and the insides of the guitar pretty much just fell out along with it, so I had to get it replaced. Then, after I'd been playing the new one for about a week, the plug in came out again. Luckily hardly anything came out this time, so it was fixable. That problem is the only reason I wouldn't gig with it, unless I had a backup that wasn't this guitar. Other than the plug in, everything seems built to last. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for around a year through a Roland Micro Cube. I play mostly hard rock type stuff, which I can play perfectly with this things, because it distorts nicely. The only thing I wish it had was a whammy bar, but it doesn't seem to be made for one. If this guitar was stolen I would probably buy it again, but I'd try some other guitars too. // 8

Tele Custom Reviewed by: rainman1987, on july 17, 2007

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: This is a 2007 Squier Telecaster Custom, which Fender contracted out to Cort to be made in Indonesia. It's has a black body, with a black pick guard, which boasts two decent sounding humbuckers, and 2 volumes, and 2 tones. This Tele has a traditional 22 medium fret neck with a maple neck and fretboard. The bridge is a Standard Strat-style hard tail bridge with Die-Cast saddles. It came with no-name tuners that held tune well. Nothing really special, just all the Standard features you would expect from a guitar in it's price range. // 8

Sound: The Tele Custom is different in that it has humbuckers instead of single coil pick ups. It's puts out a good, clean, and warm sound that you expect from humbuckers. I mostly use just a 20 watt Rocktron amp and It sounds really clean and warm. There is no crackling from the pots, which is a plus. Every once and a while I'll throw a Boss BD-2 pedal into the mix. I don't plan on replacing the pick ups any time soon. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received from the seller, I could see he was playing on a factory set-up. The action at the nut was really high, the intonation was way off, the neck has a terrible bow in it, the pick ups were seated too low, and the saddle heights did not follow the radius of the neck. I put about 2 hours of work into it and got it playing really good. The head guitar tech at the shop I work at said it plays more like a Fender than a Squire now. I replaced the tuners with some slightly better ones I had laying around my house, and replaces the cheap plastic nut with a self-lubricating grafite nut. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I have been playing a a hobbyist for about 5 years now and I don't play Live stuff too much. But, this guitar does feel pretty well built (it's built by Cort, probably one of the best in the trade). The hardware it very sturdy and snug. The body and neck are made of good wood. It's a pretty heavy guitar. I wouldn't say I would depend on it yet, I want to pull the pick guard off and take a look a the wiring, to make sure everything it up to snuff. The finish a good. It's just a traditional gross black, nothing special. // 7

Overall Impression: After getting this guitar up to playing condition, I was moderately impressed with how it played and how it felt. I have been playing on singles coils for a while and it's nice to get back on a guitar with a little umf behind it. I like this guitar because it looks a little different compared to most of Squiers and other company's guitars. I also own a Cort G-200 and I have owned a Greg Bennett AV3 and a Vintage DeArmond S-65. If it was stolen, I wouldn't by it again. I probably wouldn't be able to find one for $80.00 again (bought it off of a noob). One thing I wish it had stock was coil tab, so you could go from single coils to humbuckers (future project). // 8

Tele Custom Reviewed by: stratguy987, on september 08, 2008

Purchased from: Sight and Sound

Features: Made in 2007 in Indonesia it has 22 frets with a one piece maple neck. The body is Agathis and has a black enamel finish. Has the 72 tele three ply pick-guard on it and has a Tele-bridge. It has Two chrome covered passive Duncan pickups with a three way selector and two volume and two tone knobs. The tuners are factory stock but work very well to keep the guitar in tune. It did not come with any acessories. // 9

Sound: I play anything from blues and classic rock to metal and alternative and it fits any style perfectly. You do get a slight buzz when the tone is turned up all the way. I use it with a Fender FM-212 100 watt. The pickups produce a really bassy sound but can be changed to a really bright sound with the amp equalizier. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar had a bit of an action problem when I first got it but was easily fixed and pickups were a little high but were adjusted easily. The electronics were all connected properly and it was grounded properly. The finish on the guitar had no flaws that I could see. The only problem that it has right now is that the bridge and neck are not aligned right so the little e is almost hanging over the edge at the 22nd fret but it really dosen't bother me all that much. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've never gigged with this guitar but you could use it without a backup. The guitar has never fell from the strap so I'd say the strap buttons are solid. I feel that I could depend on this guitar without a backup but never would because there is always a chance that something can happen. I've drop it a few time and have been push into it on multiple occasians and it has never chipped. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier I play a lot of styles and this is a great match for anything from metal to blues. I've been playing playing for little over a year and this is probably my favorite guitar other than an american strat. If it were lost or stolen I would buy this same exact guitar again. // 10

Tele Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2009

Price paid: C$ 300

Features: Made in Indoneasia in 2009, this guitar is a full scale 22 fret ode to the past. It has a solid maple neck, and maple fretboard, an agathis body, 2 high output humbuckers, a Les Paul style set up of the electronics, Standard tuners, and is finished in a gloss black with matching black pickgaurd. I give it an 8 simpily because I would prefer it to be an Alder body rather then Agathis. // 8

Sound: Running through a Peavey Vypyr 120 all tube amp, on the Twin Reverb setting it sounds best clean but amazing in every other way as well. Noisless, and articulate. For humbuckers it does a good job at keeping articulation and highs well giving a nice smooth low end. I prefer the sound of this to an American Highway 1 Strat that I tried as well. The sound is very versitile, and fits anything that would use a bright sound. Alternative music, blues, jazz, classic rock, it's a screaming lead guitar or can be a smooth rhythm guitar. For me my amp and guitar combination is as close to perfect as $300 will ever give. A 10 purely for how cheap it is and how good it sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I needed to polish my baby up when I broguht her home, but it was in almost prestine condition. There we're some scratches that I polished out. As for the set up it was perfect, the inonation, action, and pickup heights were bang on. The finish is simple but beautiful, this guitar is very beautiful, and an amazing player. It's got a good weighty feel to it as well. Weights more then my P Bass even. 9 out of 10 for having the scratches and looking in need of a good cleaning. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well it's a Squier, so it's not a tank but it'll do the trick. I've used Squiers on stage and in the studio. They do the trick very well for the most part. This guitar should withstand Live playing, but I'd never go without a backup even if this were an American made Fender. Squier's also don't have the best imput jacks, they do need repairs quite a bit, and the strap buttons on any guitar stock are horible. // 8

Overall Impression: I like to play ska, funk, punk, and alternative personaly, but I do, do some classic rock, and pretty much everything else. This guitar amazes me on the clean chanel. For the money you'd be hard pressed to find something better. Not to mention I haven't seen these around and instantly fell in love with it. It's cheap but you get alot for what you pay. For any guitarist this is a must see guitar. I've compared it to a guitar store. Anything under $600 had no chance against it. If I wanted better I'd have to pony up over a grand in most cases I've found. If this guitat was stolen I'd be lost. I'd have to get it back. For the money, and my style, and ears this guitar is perfect. For it's slight flaws, it does get an 8, because not everyone will feel the same, but in my books it is deserving of a 10. // 8

Tele Custom Reviewed by: y2k11hmmm?, on january 07, 2011

Purchased from: The Trading Musician

Features: My Squier Tele Custom was built in Indonesia by Cort for Squier in 2003. The body is solid agathis, the neck is maple with a maple fretboard. The neck is finished with some strange finish I can never remember what it is, but it is spotty and allows hand sweat to stain the neck (a look I actually enjoy as it makes it look aged). I have upgraded everything about this guitar aside from the neck and body, but I remember the original tuners would slip alot, the retro amp knobs were cheap plastic and the nut was inexcusably high. The only parts I have kept are the jack plug (soon to be replaced) and the toggle itself, with the cap not an original piece from the day I bought it. These features were to say the most, disappointing. Although I don't like the hardware that came with this guitar, the neck, body and pickguard all look terrific. Still that can only do so much for you. // 7

Sound: The sound of the original Seymour Duncan P90-2s is balanced. They were silent, they were loud, they sounded like, well really good. Then I flip the toggle to bridge. BZZZZZZZZZZZ. Neck. BZZZZZZZZZ. Back to the middle! Once again it was quiet and dreamy. I later fixed this by messing with the innards. Still buzzy but now a lower case buzz. These pickups make up for the hardware, in my opinion they are some of the best pups I've used. Sad, right? But only on the middle position. They do well on distortion/overdrive. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't get it from the factory, but the nut was poor, and the action matched. The pickups were too low so I raised them. Everything else about the "action fit and finish" was good. The finish is surprisingly good considering its traveled from Alaska to Florida and back in a shi- bad case (cold, dry- warm, extremely moist). Gotta use some more characters... that oughta be good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I believe I could take this guitar on a gig. I would throw it around on my ghetto strap locks. The hardware is long gone. It didn't last at all. I wouldn't gig on it without a backup as it is my backup! But if my Gibby was in the shop I would take out by itself. Pleasantly surprised by that. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 18 out of my 21 years of life. I play hard rock/alternative and I've dabbled in punk. This baby works on all musical levels. My instrumental mainstay is a 1959 Les Paul Special with a retro-fitted Bigsby unit. I love this guitar so much. Even though you have to pick a fight with it sometimes, it's worth it because it gives your music a good feeling. My favorite part of it is... everything now that its been upgraded, but over the long run its durability. The only thing I wish it had is a Bigsby, and that is soon to come. If anyone steals this guitar from me I would track them down, rip out their throat, shove it back in somewhere then take a knife and stick it in their head. Okay I would just go buy another and put all of the upgrades back in, but you get the picture. Don't steal my guitar. // 10

Tele Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2011

Price paid: € 220

Purchased from: musicstore.de

Features: This Squier Telecaster Custom (which is closer to a deluxe than a custom, really) was made in Indonesia. It's got 22 medium jumbo frets, and the 25.5" maple neck is a bit fatter than what I was used to when I first got it. The neck is laquered with a clear satin finish, which feels a lot quicker than gloss necks. It's also a bolt-on, as one would expect any Telecaster to be. It's got an agathis body finished in a glossy black color, with a three-ply black-white-black pickguard. The Bridge is a Standard 6-saddle tele-style bridge, which intonates fairly well. The tuners are unbranded, but they stay in tune pretty well. It comes with independent volume and tone control, and a three-way selector switch. The pickups are unbranded covered humbuckers. // 8

Sound: I play a variety of music styles (usually I play in drop-D), but mostly alternative and hardcore (Billy Talent, Rise Against, Motion City Soundtrack, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Foo Fighters - you get the gist of it), and it's surprisingly versatile despite lacking the possibility to split the coils. The sound from the humbuckers has plenty of low and mid, but also that very nice shimmering high-end that you just don't get from, say, a Les Paul (that being an epiphone. I don't want anyone going completely /rage on me for supposedly claiming this is better than a Gibson). I play through either a 15 watt Laney something-or-other, or a beat-up old Peavey Backstage from somewhere deep in the seventies. Eighties? Something like that. Anyway, while sounding a bit puny when used with the Laney, it really shines through the Peavey. For effects I use a Korg AX5G. I usually play with a bit more treble than low and mid. My clean sound with this guitar in the Bridge position is somewhat big and roomy, as you would expect from the humbuckers, but still retains that tele-spirit with those bright shimmering tones. The neck pickup sounds very warm and rich, well suited for jazz (then again, I'm not really an expert in that field) and with the pickups mixed it'll produce a sound that's in-between - very nice on clean. If you dirty the signal up a little bit, you'll have a very nice, clear overdriven sound quite close to that of for example Three Days Grace's "Lost In You" - bright and clear. Dirty it up a bit further you'll end up pretty close to the sound of Ian D'sa of Billy Talent, which retains a lot of the properties of the clean signal while adding some raw energy and sustain. Dirty it up even more, and you'll be fully capable of playing along to alt metal and metal of your choice without losing too much clarity. That being said however, there is a point where the distortion will start breaking your signal apart, so be warned; while capable of playing some metal, it's not designed for that purpose. The neck pickup dirtied up can produce sounds ranging from traditional blues to the intense, almost synth-like distortion-sound of "Devil In A Midnight Mass". The middle position with a little overdrive can make recognizable indie-tones along the lines of Lukestar, albeit not as bell-like. A bit more drive, however, and you'll be in blues-solo land in no-time. The brightness from the Bridge pickup combined with the warmth and sustain of the neck pickup - simply lovable! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was horrible. Intonation was way off, and the action was higher than your average stoner. They only proved to be bumps in the road, however, as it has been playing wonderfully ever since (disregarding the routine check every once and again). I've lowered the action to as low as I can, which is pretty low, without getting fretbuzz. Ideally, it would go lower, but it's a minor problem. The Bridge pickup crackles slightly with the use of the volume knob though, which isn't really a problem for me because I usually blast through with the volume on 10 anyway (so uncivilized!), but it still needs to be mentioned. Other than that though, the guitar is flawless, the finish is even and the frets are superbly alligned. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This lovely black baby will definitely withstand live playing unless you purposely slam it into the ground. Or an amp. The hardware appears durable too. I've had it for just over two years now, and the hardware appears as solid as ever. No tuning problems, no nothing. The strap buttons are very solid as well, nice and big. I do, however, play with strap-locks. You never know, right? I would, however, never gig with it without a backup unless I had no other choice. While I have full confidence in it's ability to not spontaniously fall apart, string breakage is still a factor. The finish also seems pretty solid to my untrained eyes. // 9

Overall Impression: For me, this is a great guitar. The only thing I would like to add to it if I could would be coil split and a vibrato bridge. I've been playing for about five years - granted; the first few were a bit on-and-off - so I feel like I can use this guitar to the fullest. I own two other guitars - a Samick strat-copy and a Peavey Raptor Junior - but they are both lower in quality compared to the tele (the Samick being pretty close to it, though). If I lost it, I'd be really damned sad. I've gotten pretty attached to this thing. Heck, I even named her Alice! Knowing that nothing could replace my baby, I'd probably save up for a Fender Telecaster '72 Deluxe with a tremolo bridge. And then I'd name her Alice II. What I love about the Squier Telecaster Custom is its versatility. There is almost nothing this thing can't do! I also like the independent volume and tone controls, as it allows for a great range of sounds. Also, using the controls to kill-switch (turning one of the pickups off and switching between the active and inactive pickup for anyone not familliar with the term) is also a pretty cool feature. // 9

Comments