Tele Custom II review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Squier: Tele Custom II

Purchased from: Local Music Store

The guitar sounds good, very good. The tone is very reminiscent of the late 60's sound from guitars with P90's I use it with a Line 6 Spider amp and can get some good tones. It's great for bluesy, raunchy southern type rock and when clean can get a good variety of tones. The hum from the pickups are there, but that is the price you pay for single coil pickups.

I like classic rock, blues, country-rock and some progressive country and this guitar fits in good with country rock and blues. It is also good for 60's British Invasion songs when you want that twangy, bright clean sound. What I like the most about this guitar is the sound and tone, very good, but I am disappointed in the attention to detail that was given when the guitar was made. If Fender would invest a little in this, the Squier line would be a great value for everyone, not just beginners or intermediate players, although some of the "standard" Fenders leave a lot to be desired. I'm fixing this guitar up so it will be better, I don't mind putting work into it as I really like this guitar and it has potential.

While the guitar will withstand live playing, it is one that will require maintenance. The hardware seems to hold up okay, but I have a feeling I will have to keep on top of it. The finish should last, but again, it chips easily so while the finish is thick enough, I still may have to watch it. The strap buttons are solid enough to keep. This does not strike me as a guitar to use without a backup, but it is not my main guitar, although it is used for specific songs.

Okay, this guitar has turned into a slight project, I replaced the pots and am very happy now. This one has a good neck which is hit or miss with Squier so I am lucky. The color is Vintage blonde (yellow) which looks good, but chips easily. I figure I am going to have to replace the input jack as it cuts out, and the housing that it locks into to go into the body falls out occasionally. The rest of the guitar is good, but overall, the attention to detail could have been a lot better.

Not sure of year, but it is a Tele custom but with Duncan Designed P90's so that is why it is a Custom II. Body is made from Agathis wood, with a maple necks and fretboard. Has individual volume and tone controls, decent tuners (sealed) and tele Bridge that strings thru body. Has Les Paul style pickup selector on the upper bout of guitar. Tele body, sold w/o case or any accessories.

Seref
    It's the perennial problem with Squiers. They can sometimes have so much potential, but they cheaped out on simple things like the fret job, the switches, the pots, etc. I suppose Fender does this on purpose to get people to buy their MIMs, otherwise everyone would just buy Squiers if they couldn't afford a MIA.
    diffusedpro
    I agree with you. I feel like I didn't do enough research before I bought this guitar. That being said, it is now a project piece that I hope will produce better results.
    beefyboy232
    I don't think Squiers were ever intended to be a line of more than mid-range guitars. Also for $135 I think you got a great deal, I haven't seen a new Squier anything for less than $200 without being a clearance item or used. Sounds like a good foundation for a project though.
    ferdius
    The guitar has been worth putting the work into, as I said the tone is great. I don't mind the agathis body as some of the tone that you can get from guitars made with this wood sound pretty good. I have had 2 MIM Fenders, while one was pretty good, the other left a lot to be desired. Some Fenders are now made in Korea with the Fender logo on them, so you have to make your choice. As for this Squier, I am glad I bought it, it is a keeper and I enjoy playing it. Well worth the work I put into it.
    danza bonanza
    I used to borrow this guitar from one of my friends all the time when we were first starting out. Its a fun guitar to play and doesn't sound bad at all for the price. It was also my first experience with P-90 pickups and it started my obsession with them.
    kramer242
    I think overall Fender did a decent job with the Squiers. Obviously they are not going to be made to hold up like a more expensive guitar, because at the price Fender could not make them any better and still turn a profit. What it comes down to for someone just starting, or on a very tight budget they are at the very least good enough to get the job done. Kudos to Fender for this very inexpensive line that allows people to afford or start with a guitar that is at least fairly decent.