Tele Custom II review by Squier

Squier: Tele Custom II

Purchased from: Swee Lee Music Pte Ltd

This Indonesia made Squier features a 22 fret, 25.5" maple fretboard with medium jumbo frets. I bought mine in the vintage blonde finish, though it also comes in black. It has two Duncan Designed P90-2s. 2 pairs of volume and tone controls and a three way pickup selector. It features a string through body hardtail bridge and die cast tuning machines. It has an agathis wood body with polyester body finish. It also has a skunk stripe that runs down the back of the neck, which is rather cool in my opinion.

Although P90s may not be everyone's cup of tea, they provide a really rounded and warm tone. The bridge pickup is also very snappy and great for lead playing. I usually play rock, blues,and certain kinds of funk, and this guitar sounds great regardless of genre. When played with distortion, this guitar really wails. It has two single coils which results in humming, but I think the humming on this guitar is manageable and can even be used to a player's advantage. I usually play my guitar through a Vox Mini5 Rhythm.

Out of the box, my guitar was set-up perfectly and was ready to play (after tuning of course). There are only a few minor flaws, such as screws not being properly screwed in and control knobs not being inserted properly, but that is what you get for the price you pay, which is really not that bad. The bridge was properly adjusted too. The finish is closer to a cream colour than the classic butterscotch blonde colour, and is rather thick. I've only had my guitar for slightly over a month, but I feel that it will age pretty nicely.

I haven't used it live yet, though I'm itching to. Some of the hardware, like the knobs and toggle switch, do feel a little flimsy, but nevertheless, they're easily replaceable. Anyway, this is one of the ways that Squier cuts it costs to make affordable guitars, which they have done a great job of. The strap buttons are pretty solid though they may be a bit too small to accommodate certain guitar straps. I would use this live definitely, wouldn't worry much about needing a backup. As I said earlier, the finish is pretty thick, and wearing it off just raises it's price tag essentially.

For rock, blues or any genre in general, this guitar is simply brilliant. I've been playing for a couple years and this is the first guitar that I have bought for myself. Previously, I was using a relative' guitar, a Fender Jaguar, but I felt that it's pickup's were too trebly. This guitar, on the other hand, has tremendously amazing tone and is really a steal at this price point. Quite a few people have changed the pickups on theirs but I think that the stock pickups are great and even do well against Fenders. The Tele Custom II makes for an excellent starter guitar, or as a backup guitar. I would buy it again, hands down, if I ever lost it. This is simply, one awesome guitar

benjo83
    I just got my custom ii a few days ago and its an amazing guitar, it seems we hold these Squires to a pretty high standard. I remember as a kid you got a squire and didnt expect much from it, now so many people want to compare them to to entry and even american fenders. I love this guitar, it feels solid and the items that start to break are the cheap little things like input jacks and srsly I paid fk all for it and I plan to mod it so its a good platform that you can make your own.
    itsjonnydanger
    As Snaques posted, it's too light, no sustain. And that is what separates the boyz from the men. Sure the PUs are cool, the neck might or might not have nice frets, but if it's too light to resonate I'm out.