Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Telecaster

Purchased from: Music Makers

There's one word I can use to describe this guitar's sound: versatile. I originally started out in a sort of punk/grunge band, and the guitar sounded perfect for that, but since then, my band has changed its style, and has evolved its music into the metal genre. After some playing around with the selector Switch positions and the tone knob, I've found it works perfect for that too. Since gigging with it and using it on high power amplifiers, I can never avoid feedback if I use it on the treble pickup, but I don't use the treble anymore anyway, but I thought I better tell you. In general the sound of the guitar can be anything you want it to be, and you can make similar sounds to anything, whether it be Bruce Springsteen or Slayer.

I play in a metal band and the guitar works fine, for all the covers we've done from R.A.T.M. to Slayer. I use a 60 watt Peavey, and you can get some good sounds out of it using that. I also use a Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Wah, and it sounds great. If I lost it or it was stolen, I'd get another guitar, I am planning to get another one soon, but this will stay as a backup definitely. I'm planning to get some new pickups for it soon, to try and achieve some heavier sounds out of it. I mainly bought it because I thought it looked good, the price seemed reasonable, and I had seen them used by many artists I like, and so many Tele owners can't be wrong.

I've already gigged with this guitar a few times, I felt I may have been taking a risk by not having a backup with me, but my doubt has since been disintegrated, as its held out amazingly in those gigs, and provided you make sure everything's good with it before you play, it'll never abandon you. The strap buttons are solid, and show no signs of ever moving. I must admit I've treated it like the dog mess on the bottom of my shoe, but its held out, and there are quite a few chips in it, but that was from an incident unrelated with me, where my drummer's kit fell on top of it.

When I bought the guitar, the owner of the shop had already tuned it and adjusted the bridge for optimum performance. The action has always kept fine, apart from recently where the I've had to repeated adjust the part of the bridge for the E string, which keeps going slack, but I'm putting it down to my constant changes between drop D and standard tuning. I've also had problems with the volume and tone knobs, which have become loose and fallen off now and again, and it appears to be a fault found in all Squiers, as my friend who has a Squier P-Bass and J-bass has had his knobs fall off as well. The only other problem with it, which doesn't bother me much, but when I move the selector Switch, it makes this echoey noise, that you can hear through the amp too, and I have recently used this to my advantage in one of our songs as an interesting part in the song.

This is a 20th anniversary Squier Affinity Telecaster, crafted in China. 21 frets, one volume knob, one tone knob, 3 way selector Switch, usual Telecaster pickups S/S. Black, with usual Tele bridge.