Telecaster review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Squier: Telecaster

Purchased from: Georges Music

The sound is surprisingly authentic. It has a very defined twang, exceedingly so in the bridge pickup. The amp I use it was in a 100 Watt Fender FM. Obviously the sound of the Tele is very bright and somewhat grainy in a way in the bridge. The neck pickup is much more bassy, almost muddy. The pickups are Vintage which means you can get nearly any kind of sound out of it with just a little tuning of the amp controls. The bridge and neck positions are a little to the extreme but the second position is purely amazing. I would advise raising the pickups because they are a little weak in the output department.

I play anything I want, which means I play everything. It can do a lot of what I throw at it. Country and blues can be played on it very easily without touching any of the knobs on the amp, but if you want to play metal then just set your amp accordingly (treble and bass up, middle down) and you're fine. I've been playing for 5 1/2 years. I also own another Squier, Standard Stratocaster, Ibanez RG170, Ibanez AF75, Ibanez Talman acoustic, Hondo Deluxe 775. I wish I would have asked the guys at Georges to file down the damn fret edges. I would probably buy this guitar again if it was lost or stolen or if I wreck it anytime soon. I really love how it sounds and plays and all, I just can't stand a few little things that bug the hell outta me. There are a few things I wish were different about this guitar. I wish the bridge wasn't string-thru and modern, I want it to be Vintage with the three barrel setup. I wish the pickups had better output and I wish the bridge pickup's screws went through the pickguard so I could adjust it easier. Overall I like this guitar and it sounds really good to me. I was playing a '60s Tele at Georges recently and I was noticing my Squier had more twang to it than the Fender. The quality on the Fender was ten times better but the sound wasn't quite right. Sometimes the sound is more important.

This guitar has withstood live playing. It's an alright guitar just as long as you don't mess with it once you've got it set up properly. It'll be fine to play after it's set up. The hardware isn't bad on it, just a pot and selector Switch needs replacing but it has been a couple of years so I can understand that. The strap buttons have given me no troubles at all. Also the input jack has also been good to me, not coming loose at all. It's very dependable just leave it like it is, or get a professional to help you fix it up. I like to take things apart and see how they work and that's what led me to a few problems. My fault, I understand this. The finish really hasn't given me any guff. I've had it bump, fall, smash, grind and slip several times and the finish has stayed intact. I would reccommend changing the chrome dome knobs though to maybe speed knobs to give you some control over what you're playing.

The action of the guitar was a little out of place and I still have problems. I can't seem to get the strings as low as I want them without fret buzz cutting me off. The pickups were fine until I starting playing with them and now I've got a problem to fix when I get back to my guitar. I've had no problems with the hardware, just the pot being a little dirty. I need to replace them but it has been a couple of years since I bought this guitar. This guitar does contain some flaws. The problem that I have with all Squiers (excluding the new series they came out with) is the frets aren't filed properly and can really agitate your fingers. It's not serious but a guitar shouldn't be sold to the public with a flaw such as this. Also the tuners are a little junky in a way. They don't screw into the headstock, they're held in place by a nut which consitutes the tuner to rattle when changing strings which is more an annoyance than a problem.

This Squier model was made in 2003 I believe, in Indonesia. It's got 22 frets with a solid top. The body is made of agathis/alder and the neck is maple with a skunk stripe with a rosewood fretboard. Candy apple red finish. The bridge is a standard Tele bridge but it strings through the body which adds slightly to the sustain. The features of this guitar aren't bad really. The only problems are the tuners aren't the best, the lack of color options and fretboard woods.