Telecaster review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Squier: Telecaster

Purchased from: Brittens Music in West Byfleet

Basically, I have this guitar for playing clean. I've played it with a DigiTech Death Metal distortion, but lets face it, it's not really built for playing metal at all. In fact if you ever want a guitar that can do an impression of a pig about to be slaughtered, then feed this guitar through a high gain distortion pedal and hear it squeal! Clean, the overall sound is very warm as you would expect for a Telecaster, due to the big body, but I tend to find that the bridge pickup is a bit ratty (which I replaced) and the neck pickup sometimes lacks definition on more treble based stuff, but its only Squier, if you want a superb clean sound, get the Fender vertion, but this guitar is good for a budget.

The reason I got this guitar was because I wanted somthing cheap to learn on, but over the years, it's been relegated to my clean guitar, because it's still got a nice clean sound for a cheap guitar, which I basically run through a Marshall MG100DFX, but it's a recording guitar, or the only guitar I have in standard tuning (I mostly play metal) so if I get a tab or GP tab, and the songs in standard, I'll use my Telecaster, and yes, it has lovly action once you tinker with it (such as lowering the action and 9 guage strings). If this guitar was stolen, I'd probably be given it back once the theif realised what he's got (I removed the company's logo), but if I lost it forever, I'd probably actually get a new one seen as there cheap, and there nice guitars for playing clean (it's probably the best guitar under 200 for playing clean). Also the action once adjusted is beutiful, not sure if its as good as a Yamaha Pacifica 112, but it would give it a run for its money! So remember, the basic rules of this guitar, cheap and sounds nice clean. If you don't have much money, and either play jazz/blues/country/indy then get this but if your playing metal/hard rock avoid like the plague.

This guitar is not what I would call reliable for playing live. I'm just glad I had a problem during the practice before the performance rather then during the set, otherwise id probably have broken the damned thing so make sure you have a backup nearby if your planning to use it for a clean guitar. I'd also invest in getting new strap buttons for strap locks or larger strap buttons, as the ones on the Telecaster are thin, and I've had the strap fall off many a time, especially with the auful Fender straps you get with it (if you have a Fender strap, bin it). Also rememeber not to throw it about becuase the wood is cheap, I haven't had a major incident yet.

I've had this guitar now for years, and it's getting a bit beaten up as you can probably imagine. The paint comes off quite easily, but luckly mine is all black and I just paint over the nicks with black nail polish. That's the only cosmetic flaw. The body is built nicly. The pickups were lowish when I got it, but raised them up a long time ago due to the inadiquate power output of the pickups, I also adjucted the action as soon as I got it to fit my preferances, and actually, the action is lovely! I've got it almost as low as it gets, and with the next's shape it plays like a dream, and have hade some praise for it (in fact the only reason I still have it is because of the action). Sadly, this is the only praise I will give it, because as much as I love the action, there is far too many things wrong with this guitar. The first is the jack plate. The original one I got was plastic, and when I took it to its first gig, the practice we had before, I somehow yanked it out, but because the angel the cable is set at, and the shoddy plastic plate just gave way and broke, sending the electronics out of the body. The other problem I have is the wood used for the construction is Auful. Due to that plate problem, it took me a while to get a replacement, once I did, the wood around where you screw it back in had become scrubbed, so its now duck taped in. Also the electonics inside it twist around, and snap off, making the guitar an acoustic! I've just sent it off for repair Again yesterday due to this problem. The other bad thing, but tends to be a Telecaster flaw is the tele bridge. It's metal, and therefore cannot do too much major customisation unless you pay for the Fender humbucker bridge for Telecasters (like the '71 Custom I think it is). Also the singlecoils are entirely different to Strat ones, which means if you want to just put some other kind of single coil pickup in the bridge (or a hotrail like I'm planning because I got a Fender one in there and its still a bit ratty and I like a thicker sound) it becomes a problem as the Telecaster ones are harder to pickup. Apart from that, it's good for its price, and if your're thinking of retrofitting a guitar on the cheap, then it's worth thinking about.

I'm not too sure on the exact specs for this guitar, but I'm sure the other reviews have got it, but it's the basic 2 single coiled pickups on a 3-way selector Switch on a Tele style bridge with a single volume and tone controls.