Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Telecaster

Purchased from: Georges Music

I play many different styles of music, including country, blues, jazz and all forms of rock n' roll. This guitar does the job perfectly in all forms. I and playing this guitar through a Kustom 10-Watt and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. To be honest, any guitar going through the HRD is going to sound amazing. It's too noisy, especially on the neck pickup. On the bridge it's a little noisy but what can I say? This guitar gets the perfect twang sound out of it, no matter what anyone else says. It sounds like I'm playing right along with Johnny Cash whenever I fire up Folsom Prison Blues. It really has that twang on the bridge pup. On the neck, it still shows just enough twang through. It's in no way muddy, thankfully. This guitar can really out perform if you play country, or rockabilly. Turn the tone down and you've got a guitar suited for jazz.

Like I said, I play country, blues, jazz and all forms of rock n' roll. This guitar could be my only and it would still suit those styles of music better than anything else I've played on. I have been playing for five years, almost six. I own an Ibanez Artcore AF75 and Fender Standard Strat in a Midnight Wine finish. My Telecaster, does, without a doubt, beats it. If it were stolen I would not buy it again because my money would go to a shotgun to kill whoever stole my favorite guitar. Yes I would buy it again, no matter what happened to it. I would get another Standard Tele by Squier if they had another finish that I liked as much as I like this one. I love it because it's a solid little guitar that didn't cost me too much money. I love the sound because so many people will say that you can't get a twang out of a Squier. They are dead wrong, they obviously haven't heard this guitar play. Today I played on two Fender teles, two Master Series Squier teles and an Affinity Squier tele. My Squier Standard Telecaster beats every single guitar I played today. The Fenders were a Texas Tele and one was $700 made of Koa. I can't remember that name of it though. The Texas had string buzz on the bridge and the strings weren't in line with the barrel grooves, although it did have the traditional tele twang. The Koa was too bassy and didn't exactly have the twang I was looking for. The Master Series Squiers had good sound, but were no where near twangy. The Affinity on the other hand didn't buzz and did have spot on twang, although thanks to the modifications I performed on my Standard, it sounds a bit better than all of them. As for wishing it had something. Well I already put on a Vintage brdige and grover tuners. It really doesn't need anything else. Honestly. This is my favorite guitar, and it suits me better than anything else. I'm even thinking about selling my Fender Strat so I can buy a Squier Standard Strat.

This guitar plays better than most, surprisingly. I played with it live many times without a backup and even recorded a cd with it. It has not failed me ever. The hardware is fine tuned, I must tell you. The input jack doesn't come loose, the bridge (or rather, old bridge) did it's job superbly, as well as the saddles, and the tuners were solid as well. The only reason I changed them is because I had a very nice surplus of money and figured why not? The stock tuners were very good, but Grover tuners are great. This guitar has been slammed against the outside of my house, which is brick, the paint didn't chip, the body didn't dent. There is not one chip or dent in this guitar, and I do not baby it in any way.

Georges Music has a quirk, where they'll put all the finely set up guitars for the customers, and keep guitars with high action in the back. The action on mine wasn't too good, but it was an easy fix. The pickups were just fine, haven't had to move them since I got it. The few flaws pretaining to this guitar are a the frets aren't filed perfectly, though they aren't that bad really. I was in Georges today and played a Texas Tele by Fender and a $700 Fender with a Koa body and the frets were filed exactly the same way. The finish is perfect and the wood is just fine.

I bought this guitar in 2003, it was made in Indonesia. It has 22 frets, with a rosewood fretboard, maple neck and skunk stripe. Solid top, made of Agathis wood. The finish is Candy Apple Red, of course it's Tele. I had a Vintage style three-barrel bridge with ashtray cap put on it. The tuners, were just normal non-locking but I put Grover tuners on it. Since I changed the guitar a little, I'll review it as I would as if I hadn't changed anything.