Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Telecaster

Purchased from: GAK

I play proper Punk style (Clash/Ramones/Buzzcocks) and I also use it for my folk experimentations, the tele is great for both of those styles. I usually run it through a Marshall MG100DFX and occasionally use the chorus effect with it, sounds great and won't give any feedback unless you push it right to the limit (also room size may have a factor). It can cover almost any sound bright tangy cean tones great for country strumming and chuck the pick-up selector in the middle and there's a good full sound available for rock'n'roll. The bridge pick-up selection is excellent for sharp power chords ala Sex Pistols.

The guitar is perfect for what I play (see Joe Strummer, Graham Coxon and East Bay Ray), I've been playing it solidly for a year and sounds better than my other ex-guitars. If it was stolen I'd track down another version of mine (2005/China) or possibly get a Squier '72 Custom copy. I love the look of it and the sound of it, the thin neck is also a bonus. The one thing I dislike about it is the fact that the jack plate cracked and I've had to repair it. My favorite feature is the black scratchplate, it completes the guitar in my view.

I've used this guitar live a few times and I honestly think that this guitar could out-live me, with a little care. Hardware is basically as new, and can withstand being flooded with sweat. Strap buttons are solid and with a locking strap, can't go much wrong. I would use this guitar without a backup (to preserve strings I recommend a .73 Jim Dunlop pick) and have done so all is well. The finish is slighty chippable, and pick-scratch marks do accumulate over time.

When I bought it from the store it felt great and so easy to play, a bit of contact with the frets & strings but once I wore it in it was okay. Everything was where it should be and after a year of hacking away at it, it still is. The paint does chip if the guitar is hit hard on the floor or something and on the bridge pickup there is a tiny speck of rust, but I think that just adds to the character of the guitar.

My Tele was 'crafted in China' in 2005, It's a standard 21 fret maple neck with an alder body in a butterscotch finish. It has a flat tele bridge with 6 standard saddles. It has the normal 3-way switch bridge/dual/neck with volume and tone. All you'd expect from a Squier Tele.