Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Telecaster

Purchased from: A friend

I play punk, metal, rock, hard rock, and alternative. If you play any of these, it'll work for you. Came completely stock. It was my 2nd electric I ever owned, and here I am 6 years later still playing it constantly. The pots were a little dirty, but that is easily fixed by rapidly and repeatedly working them. About 2 years ago I replaced the neck pickup with an Ibanez INF3 humbucker. Only reason was that I needed it for sustained solos, because the stock neck wasn't as sustainful. It still was great, but I just wanted more smoothness when I flipped on my high gain. It wasn't difficult at all, because the wiring was easy to access and well done. The Bridge pickup is the sexiest single coil I've played. Mean, dirty, and hot. Very surprised, as it was a cheap Indonesian Tele. I say 8 only for the stock neck.

If you play rock, it'll due. Metal? Get a high-gain pedal (I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Core), and totally! Alternative/blues? Definitely. But most of all, if you play Punk, BUY IT! Good action, no intonation (which can still be easily fixed), which means octaves are smooth. The bridge pickup crunches, squeals, and chugs. The stock neck is smooth-playing, but if you need more sustain look into an Ibanez INF3, or something from DiMazrio. My favorite thing is how versatile this guitar is, for the price of dirt! If you're just starting, or if you've been playing your whole life, you can't go wrong here. I own a Fender Strat which I made into a Jim Root Signature, an Ibanez Artcore, a Dean Evo, and a Hardluck Kings Lady Luck (explorer copy). So I'm a pretty versatile player who looks more at the feel than the brand name. And if you want the feel more than the looks, than this is for you.

This guitar is an incredibly reliable guitar. It's the Ak-47 of guitars. I have left it in the rain, I have dropped it numerous times, it is road-worn just from being carried around and gigged, and it still plays like an angel. The finish has been worn down, it has duct tape on it, and no pickguard. And if it were a woman, I would still tap it hard. I love this thing. It has become my "signature guitar", because my band and I have used it at many shows. I used it in the studio for our debut EP, and I don't regret a single minute of it.

Action came perfect, no adjustment needed. Pickups were at the right height, giving me just the right hotness at each level I needed it. Nut works great, I apply graphite weekly for extra bending smoothness. No frets were sharp, and no screw was loose. The three-way switch was pretty smooth, and pots were a little dirty, but as previously stated, that was easily fixed. Wiring was clean and well done, and the wires were all wrapped together and neatly arranged inside. I don't think any stock guitar I have ever had was this clean.

I have a 2008 Indonesian Squier Tele with an Alder body, 22 frets, 25.5 scale. It's solid Vintage cream-yellow, Maple Neck, and a Rosewood fretboard. The bridge is a hardtail-Tele-string-thru body. Pickups came as stock single coils (covered neck, open bridge. Controls came stock as well, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch. Stock 3-piece tuners as well, and it came with strap, case, setup tools. This is an amazing guitar, and if you have $200 in your pocket, go to a local guitar store and buy this beast of an axe.