Telecaster Pro-Tone review by Squier

Squier: Telecaster Pro-Tone

Purchased from: Traded for MIM P-bass

This guitar is the only Ash body guitar I have, and it sounds really nice and snappy. The Neck HB is actually pretty nice, but the JB JR in the bridge is excellent. I can run it as a HB or coil tap it to get a more traditional Tele sound. I use this with a Line 6 SVHD100/Bugera 333 and a Krank Rev 4x12. I think it sounds like a bright LP with the pickup change.

Over all I am extremely pleased with this guitar. I play everything from Blues to metal with this and it copes just fine. It has a distinctive sound compared to my other guitars. If you look for one used, you'll be surprised at how much it will cost for a used Squier, they go for typically $400-$600 on eBay! After owning this for several yrs now I can see why Fender stopped this line. It is everything that a diecent USA Fender is, at a fraction of the price new.

This is a 1996 model, so that means that it is 16 yrs old. It still has all the original prts minus the Bridge pickup I swaped out. I would not hesitate to play it live, because I have been for the last 6 yrs I have owned it. The strap buttons were replaced with Schaller strap locks. The finish is still in very good condition for a 16 yr old guitar that has been giged quite often.

This guitar plays amazing. I really find it hard to believe that this is not a US made guitar. The body is a beautiful 2 piece Ash that you'd be hard to find on a sub $900 fender. I have let many people try this guitar and most like it better than their Fender Tele's.

Made in 1996 by the Samick factory in Korea. It is 25.5" scale with 21 med frets. Maple neck with a rosewood fret-board. Very thin neck for a Telecaster. The body is a beautiful 2 piece Ash in Vintage blond. Modern string through Tele bridge. Neck PAF style HB and a Tele single coil in the bridge (I modded mine with a Seymour Duncan JB JR bridge pickup). Even for a Squier The hardware and tuners are as good as most Fender models under $700.

rv_phoenix
    Robbgnarly
    rv_phoenix wrote: I don't see any humbucker in the bridge position: just a stock "lipstick" Tele single coil. Then, the first reviewer awarded the guitar a 9 for sound, despite the fact hat he replaced the bridge pickup. And then claimed that a Squier copy of a Tele Thinline semi-hollowbody can play metal (perhaps it does, but with a little help of a ton of hi-gain amplification and Line 6 digital modelling: in such conditions, any guitar would do, even my electro-acoustic Seagull!). The only true thing is that a '96 Squier is better than many contemporary "Made in Mexico" or "Crafted in China" Fenders. Too bad for Fenders.
    Well the one picturd is a thinline, which mine is not. Mine is a solid body(ash)in blonde. It came stock with a full sized HB in the neck and a single coil in the bridge. My SV has the Strymon SV Pre installd, so it sounds much better than a stock SV.
    MentalDekay
    Bought one of these (blonde w/ HB) used ~16 years ago. I will never sell it. 9+ easily. Only complaint is the HB can get muddy on lots of amps. But into my AC4, the pickup absolutely sings.