Telecaster Pro-Tone Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 12/16/2011 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Squier: Telecaster Pro-Tone
1996 made in Japan 2 piece ash in blond finish, single coil in the Bridge humbucker in the neck. 21 fret maple neck with maple fret-board.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 7.9
 9.2
 6.5
 4,662
reviews (2) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Telecaster Pro-Tone Reviewed by: Robbgnarly, on december 16, 2011

Features: Made in 1996 by the Samick factory in Korea. It is 25.5" scale with 21 med frets. Maple neck with a rosewood fret-board. Very thin neck for a Telecaster. The body is a beautiful 2 piece Ash in Vintage blond. Modern string through Tele bridge. Neck PAF style HB and a Tele single coil in the bridge (I modded mine with a Seymour Duncan JB JR bridge pickup). Even for a Squier The hardware and tuners are as good as most Fender models under $700. // 8

Sound: This guitar is the only Ash body guitar I have, and it sounds really nice and snappy. The Neck HB is actually pretty nice, but the JB JR in the bridge is excellent. I can run it as a HB or coil tap it to get a more traditional Tele sound. I use this with a Line 6 SVHD100/Bugera 333 and a Krank Rev 4x12. I think it sounds like a bright LP with the pickup change. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar plays amazing. I really find it hard to believe that this is not a US made guitar. The body is a beautiful 2 piece Ash that you'd be hard to find on a sub $900 fender. I have let many people try this guitar and most like it better than their Fender Tele's. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a 1996 model, so that means that it is 16 yrs old. It still has all the original prts minus the Bridge pickup I swaped out. I would not hesitate to play it live, because I have been for the last 6 yrs I have owned it. The strap buttons were replaced with Schaller strap locks. The finish is still in very good condition for a 16 yr old guitar that has been giged quite often. // 9

Overall Impression: Over all I am extremely pleased with this guitar. I play everything from Blues to metal with this and it copes just fine. It has a distinctive sound compared to my other guitars. If you look for one used, you'll be surprised at how much it will cost for a used Squier, they go for typically $400-$600 on eBay! After owning this for several yrs now I can see why Fender stopped this line. It is everything that a diecent USA Fender is, at a fraction of the price new. // 9

Telecaster Pro-Tone Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2011

Features: 1996 made in japan 2 piece ash in blond finish, sinle coil in the Bridge humbucker in the neck. 21 fret maple neck with maple fret-board. String thru body with modern teli bridge. Stock tuners work excelent no need to replace them. Standard telicaster controls 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3 way switch. If it didn't say squire you'd swear it was a Fender custom shop model. // 10

Sound: This model was only made for 2 years and Fender stoped production due to the high quality(this puts USA telis to shame). The teli twang is there in abundance. But being the tone snob I am I had a JB jr modified and placed in the Bridge now all I can say is the sound is like a Bright LP. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Plays amazing fret work is top notch, neck is smooth. The body is a little thicker than a normal teli but still comfortable. I can not say enough great things about this "POS" squire, except that it is far from a "POS" Squire. I got compliments from every one on how nice the finish was for a "country guitar"! And if they played it they always wanted to buy it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Never had a problem with it yet and I had it for about 6 yrs and sold it now I wish I could eather buy it back or find another one but they are going for $600+ now if you are even lucky enough to find one. This is a quality made instument with out a doubt. I've put it up aganst $1400 Usa Teli's and it destroys them. Don't belive me google them. // 10

Overall Impression: Teli's are the only fenders I like, don't know why they just are. I've been playing for 16+ yrs now and know a little about a good guitar, and it don't always have ot have a big name on the head stock. I would love to own another one but they are almost impossible to find now days. If you ever come across one buy it you will not be dissapointed. // 10

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic Vibe '60s Stratocaster 9.2 Electric Guitars 01/19/2016