Tom DeLonge Strat review by Squier

Squier: Tom DeLonge Strat

The Detonator is based on the Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader. The difference between the Detonator and the Invader is that the Invader has one big ceramic magnet and two smaller ones. The Detonator only uses one big ceramic magnet. The two pickups sound almost the same except the Invader has a bit more output, but you won't even hear the difference. Overall this pickup has enough output to blow anyone away. The sound fits my style of music which is punk rock but you still need a good amp to make this guitar sound really good.

This guitar is good for any kind of rock music. If this guitar were stolen I would be forced to buy a Standard Strat because this guitar is out of production. I own the olympic white version of this model and I just love it. But let's face it: any Strat looks good in white. Comparing it to the Fender version, I wouldn't pay the extra cash. They sound the same to me.

This guitar will withstand a gig, but it isn't wise to play without a backup on any gig. It is as solid as a rock. The only thing you should invest in is a decent strap lock system or risk dropping this axe.

The action was almost perfect when I took it out of the box. I play a guitar quite hard so I raised the action a bit to prevent fret buzz and raised the pickup for that extra bit of boom. Apart from that everything was perfect.

The Squier version of the Tom Delonge is made in China. It has a 21 fret, fast action neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The body is made of alder and the neck of maple. It features a HardTail bridge and a Duncan Designed Detonator Humbucker in the bridge position.