Vintage Modified Jaguar review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Vintage Modified Jaguar

Price paid: C$ 299

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Sound: Very good. I play it Two ways. 1) Direct to my rehearsal amp (Peavey Envoy 110) 2) Direct to P.A. from my DigiTech RP355/Crybaby Wah pedal set up. No noise; which is what I expected with humbuckers. A Note about "Duncan Designed" Pickups. When you see this label it means that the manufacture - Squier/Fender in this case leases the circuit diagram from Seymour Duncan and produces the Pickup in there own offshore factory as opposed to buying Genuine Seymour Duncan pickups. These Pickup are Duncan-Designed HB102B (bridge) and HB102N (neck). The corresponding Seymour Duncan pickup is the JB SH-4. One of the highest selling pick-ups ever. This is not a Surf guitar, It's a Jack of all trades - Rock/Metal/Blues/jazz, Even some country. This guitar can handle anything you throw at it.

Styles: - Blues - Classic rock - Disco/70's Funk - Modern Pop - Classic Heavy Metal How long Playing: 27 Years Other Gear: - 1984 Ibanez Artist AR 105 - 2006 Squier Fat Strat (Black and Chrome Edition) - 1982 Marshall JCM800 2x12 Combo - Does not gig anymore - 1993 Fender M-80 1x12 Combo - Does not gig anymore - 1998 Peavey Envoy 110 "TransTube" - Rehearsal Amp - 1990's Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah - 2011 DigiTech RP355 - Direct to P.A. mixer when gigging. Would I buy it again if Stolen: Yes. Short neck scale takes some adjustment, but after adapting, plays very, very fast. What did I compare it to: Nothing. There is no other guitar (That I'm aware of) By any other manufacture that has this short of a scale neck. Will I modify it? Absolutely; I won't be changing pickups. I like them fine. I will be modifying the selector switch/switching/Coil splitting options. Bottom line, If you're a gear snob, Pass this one by. No matter what anyone says you will not like it because of the branding. Take the time to set it up, or get a good set up done by a proper guitar tech, and this guitar will serve very well for most players of any stripe or ability.

I'd use it live without hesitation. I use another Squier currently to make YouTube videos of cover songs. I don't have to worry about back-ups I can't remember the last guitar failure I had onstage. I'm pretty gentle with my instruments as a rule.

I've had the guilt for about a week now; First thing's first: GREAT sound, FAST neck. This thing is a PAIN to do it's initial set-up. The string saddles on the bridge piece are adjustable but not like a Strat/Tele with a rear screw or even like a tune-o-matic. To adjust the intonation it's Slacken the sting, undo the screw, move the saddle, tighten, and re-tune. A very very time consuming and irritating process. The string saddles are pre-set to the neck radius so adjusting the Sting height is similar to setting up a tune-o-matic. There is a hitch... The bridge FLOATS on the front 2 screws that also set string action. After you set desired string height, you use the one rear screw that actually goes into the wood, to level the bridge. String tension holds the bridge tight against the post screws. Once the bridge is leveled and saddles are tightened, all bridge buzz is eliminated (popular online complaint). Normally it takes me about 1.5 hours to set-up a guitar to my tastes, this one took almost 4 hours. Not for the faint at heart. I have the action set nice and low to use the jumbo-sized frets No buzz, no fret leveling needed, the Duncan Designed pick-ups are very clear and precise on both clean and distorted. Finish was Very good, no paint runs, no cracks, Neck aligned nicely from the factory, Nut did not require filing/Dressing.

- Built: 2011 - Where: Indonesia - How many Frets: 22 Jumbo - 24.00" scale length - Maple neck with rosewood fretboard, skunk stripe - Jag style Body: Basswood - Finish: Fiesta Red - Bridge: Jaguar/Jazzmaster specific hard tail Top Loading, Semi-floating bridge. - Passive Duncan-Designed humbuckers - Volume/tone stacked for each pickup - 3 way Les-Paul Style Selector switch No Accessories, I bought a set of Super slinky 0.09-0.42 to change into when I bought it.

Trisonic77
    Good Review! I have a Fender Mustang Special, which has a 24" scale, and I love the feel of the short scale as well!
    Vinnie74
    I bought this guitar a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. Looks awesome and sounds great playing some classic Nirvana riffs.
    dourfankle
    I bought one of these and had troubles with what I considered excessive neck flex. The tuning would waver with even the pressure required to turn a tuning peg although neither I or the shop could find any setup related problem. My suspicion is that the short scale neck may just be a bit bendy. Anyway, I swapped it for a Squier VM Jazzmaster, the one with the same fixed bridge as the Jag and I am amazed at how good this thing sounds. The big soapbox pickups can go from clean sparkle to real distortion scream and I actually prefer the tone over the Jag humbuckers. The maple neck is lovely even though I prefer the look of rosewood and tuning and flex are bomber! Lovin the Squier VM range!!
    ProgFolk12
    I like the Squier VM series, but I wouldn't say jaguars are by any means jack of all trades guitars. The bridge and short scale means they're hardly ideal for anything heavy and they're not renowned for huge sustain, and really a jack of all trades guitar would benefit from a single coil or two for more funk type sounds.
    Clervaux
    This review made me wanna buy this guitar which I did today. Fiesta red, sexy looks and great quality for the price. Little plasticky but the review is spot on all features of this nice guitar!
    djmarcelca
    Here is a link of the reviewer playing the guitar in it's unmodified state.