Vintage Modified Jaguar review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jaguar

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Manufactured in Indonesia in 2015. There are 22 frets and the scale is 24". The guitar is solid basswood and mine is surf green. The neck is maple with Indian Rosewood fingerboard. This is a cutaway guitar and has a unique bridge system such as you will find on Jaguars and Mustangs. The guitar ships with horrible strings... 9's. It needs 11's and I personally recommend flat wounds. With that change I have no rattles or some of the other issues you hear about. The pickups are "Duncan Designed" single coil and they seem quite good for the price and my style. The tuners are vintage 6 in line style. Once all my setups were in place, I have no issues with them.

This guitar suits my playing which is classic rock, blues and gospel. The reason I wanted this (I already have Gibsons and fenders and have been playing for 40 years) is for the rhythm setup. This guitar features a unique rhythm pickup selection setup that lets you dial in a tone for that one pickup and switch from it to treble/neck or treble only with completely different tone settings. Yes this is the "surf" guitar but its not only a surf guitar. It's a quite fun and great value guitar for the money. I amusing it with a 1972 silver face champ amp and with a Blues Junior amp.

Maybe I got lucky but the fit and finish on my is spot on. I think you could possibly not be so lucky as these are mass produced in Indonesia but my frets were level and polished without rough ends. The strings it came with are garbage and the plastic nut it came with is crap. I replaced both. Strings with 11's and nut with bone... had the appropriate setups done for those changes and, I have the action at T/4 64ths and B 6 64ths. Plays beautifully and has some music in it. You will need to do setups. You will want to budget taking this to a tech or luthier if you cannot do that work ourself.

I think this guitar could stand up to years of use but, who knows, mine is 6 weeks old. With a setup you could gig with this. Without a setup, you have some lumber and electronics. I would not waste my money changing out any hardware or electronics on this guitar. Spend some money on a nut, strings, and setup and you will have a guitar that will last for many years and sound good in the process. I see no reason why the hardware or finish will not hold up. I have seen reviews that say the tuners go out of tune. Tuners don't go out of tune...  strings do. Especially with a bad setup and cheap strings.

I play jazz, blues, classic rock, gospel, folk lead or rhythm. This guitar handles it all. I like to set the rhythm setup to a sort of dark tone that I love switching to in song parts. Read up on these jaguars before you buy. Make sure you understand the options it presents and that they are options you can appreciate in your playing. You have 4 switches, two pickups, 3 knobs and a ton of combinations of tones you can get out of this. In other words, have fun with it. If you are more inclined to using just the bridge pickup and never touch your tone knobs, this is not for you.

flutist3
    No-the Jagmaster has the input jack on the pickguard. (that comment is tongue in cheek-I believe it is a JM,too).