Vintage Modified Jaguar 2012 review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 4.2 Poor
Squier: Vintage Modified Jaguar 2012

Purchased from: Andertons

I run the VM Jaguar through a Vox 15R. It sounds pretty good. It's a very bright guitar. This is my first venture into single coil pickup guitars after starting with a Stratocaster. I use a Epiphone Les Paul as my main electric guitar and also own a SG, as well having a Epiphone Dot in the past. The sound seems like a suitable replacement to a Fender Jaguar. It's maybe 6/10's of a Fender Jaguar.

My overall impression of this guitar would be that it looks great, but needs work, I bought it for 255 but will have spent another 50 to make it up to my standard. It will be good but sadly will take too much work. Go and buy a Marauder from the Fender Modern Player range. That is twice the guitar for only an extra 100.

At the moment, this guitar wouldn't stand being played live. It needs a new set of strings (as I am going to move up to 11's) and a professional set up. I think the guitar will last for a few years, it seems like it has been produced well but hugely let down by the finishing touches (the strings and etc.)

The set-up is terrible. It somewhat weirdly comes fitted with 9's. Despite the fact that nearly all Jaguar players and enthusiasts state that a thicker string is better. I fitted 10's on it but it's still not good enough. It looks great but badly done Squier.

This is a brand new model. First range of the VM Jaguar that looks exactly like a Fender Jaguar. It is essentially a Fender Jaguar except where it says Squier instead of Fender. It is a short scale 22 fret neck. The usual lead/rhythm circuit controls with volume and tone for each circuit. 3 switch control plate which allows for the turning on/off of pickups, as well as the third switch which is some kind of filter which knocks the bass off of the sound and ups the treble. It comes with a whammy bar into a well-known Jaguar bridge with what looks like a modified Mustang bridge.

K33nbl4d3
    So the only problem with the guitar is the strings it came with and it gets a crap score in reliability, setup and overall impression just because of that. Just no.
    sroze478
    "It will be good but sadly it will take too much work [to make it up to my standard]" To change strings and adjust the action? Something that you need to do to every single newly purchased guitar ever? I'm confused.
    jthm_guitarist
    I don't like it when people rate guitars too high, but I don't like this either... Just because it came with a string gauge .001 smaller than you prefer doesn't make it among the worst 10% of guitars. VM Squiers are great in my experience. I would gladly take your 50 to change your strings though.
    Jj795
    Im not gonna pick, just getting to the point, get a proper setup done, play it for a few months, play live , then do the review. Oh and nice try.
    LeakyFlask
    Just noticed this:
    Go and buy a Marauder from the Fender Modern Player range.
    Woah, Fender has a model called the Marauder? That's pretty funny, I just recently sold my old Gibson Marauder which incidentally is almost more like a Fender than a Gibson, what with the bolt-on neck and the '72 Tele style pickup configuration.
    kaptink
    If you ordered it online from Andertons you shouldn't have expected a well set-up guitar. I agree that the 9's are a bad choice but you can't expect a guitar with as tempermental a bridge and tremelo as the jaguar to sit in various warehouses, fully strung up, for months without the set-up suffering. If you brought it from the shop I apologise, but in that case I can't believe they would have had it out to play without setting it up.
    samuelgdrowley
    It is a bad review, was a bit of boredom on my part. Too quick to judge, the guitar will go back for a set-up.
    severin
    Reviewer lost me immediately when he said "into a well-known Jaguar bridge with what looks like a modified Mustang bridge." Doesn't know what he/she is talking about.
    paulstokeuk
    i ordered a sunburst one a last week from Andertons but then phone them back to a few days later to change the colour to surf green,i should get it around the 20th as they have to re-order it from fender because of my colour change,the service from Andertons is brilliant, i have used them before ,the guitar looks cool as **** , as for string gauge well that's just a preference , change the strings and tighten the spring screws on the bridge (quick and easy fix)
    MickyDripping
    I was very surprised to read this review and can only agree with others that a) Jaguars being short scale need at least 11s b) that all new guitars need a bit of a tweek to meet individual requirements. I can only add that this is the guitar I have been waiting for for some time and that Fender seem to always be a bit slow on the uptake when introducing new Squier models. Look how long it took for them to get on the Squier Tele Custom and Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe bandwagon when popular groups had been using them for years. Kids buy what they see their heros playing - it aint rocket science!!!! When will we see the Squier Gilmour Black Strat? When Floyd have passed beyond the dark side of the moon I suppose. Tip to Fender, make a good selling custom guitar - make a Squier model soon after, sell more stuff!!!
    MickyDripping
    I was very surprised to read this review and can only agree with others that a) Jaguars being short scale need at least 11s b) that all new guitars need a bit of a tweek to meet individual requirements. I can only add that this is the guitar I have been waiting for for some time and that Fender seem to always be a bit slow on the uptake when introducing new Squier models. Look how long it took for them to get on the Squier Tele Custom bandwagon when popular groups had been using them for years. Kids buy what they see their heros playing - it aint rocket science!!!! When will we see the Squier Gilmour Black Strat? When Floyd have passed beyond the dark side of the moon I suppose. Tip to Fender, make a good selling custom guitar - make a Squier model soon after, sell more stuff!!!