Vintage Modified Mustang review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Mustang

Purchased from: symphony music wigan

These days I am mostly doing home recording (young babies stopping the gigs!) but my gigging days was your average "pub rock" with stuff going from Beatles/Stones up to more recent alt rock kind of thing. I would describe my own style as rock, my reason for getting the Mustang is my (lingering) teenage obsession with Nirvana! I'm sure I'm not the only one. Right in the house I have a Marshall Class 5 and a Line 6 M13 for my rig, and I have to say the Mustang pickups are surprisingly good! I had thought one the 1st jobs after a set up was to drop some more in but I think they will be staying, there is a on/off/on switch on each pup and as far as I can see its in phase/off/out of phase settings. The bridge is not overly bright or bitey (+ or - depending on your taste)and the neck is bluesy to my ears. Both are usable, it has a nice clear clean sound not really bell like such as a Strat but pleasant and it filthys up fantastic with some fuzz! Add a lil bit of chorus and its nevermind! The bridge rattles like a pig. More on this below.

I have always fancied a Mustang/Jaguar due to my adolescent Nirvana fixation, this scratches this itch perfectly! I am lucky enough to own a Gibson Les Paul Junior, Japanese Fender Telecaster, Martin & Yamaha acoustics and a Baby Taylor, I have been playing about 15 years and have bought and sold a lot of gear. I think the Mustang is a keeper but bear in mind the bridge issues, I might have just got a dog egg but whatever price you agree to pay add another 30 for a new bridge and you will be flying. Give it a good play before you take it home, if its rattling and buzzing its our old friend the bridge. But like I say its not terminal. New one fitted and its flawless. If someone stole it I would beat them to death with the old bridge and buy a new one! I really fancy one of those Vintage Modified Jaguars now, for the price these are exceptional value.

YouTube preview picture

If you don't change the bridge this will not last the 1st 10 minutes of a gig and you will be messing round with a tiny allen key trying to set it up on the fly! I suppose you could try some threadlock but you would have to be sparing and in all likelyhood not be able to adjust the saddles easily. The best way is just to change it. The pickups, strap buttons all the rest of it is solid and is to be fair exceptional at this price point, especially when you consider a Japanese Mustang retails new in the UK for about 750, 450ish on flea bay second hand.

Ok the plus side. The neck is fantastic! Extremely comfortable, no rough frets or sharp edges, decent cut on the nut, I love the overside headstock, the tuners hold well enough but do look a bit cheap, the finish on the neck is like a Vintage tint but its nice and smooth not sticky. The body is immaculately finished, surprisingly good pick ups. The vibrato is ok, you will do no dive bombing here! More a gentle wobble like a Bigsby I suppose, more than that & the tunings out. (When I 1st got it I was giving it some as you do and I managed do drop a whole tone down across every string! Not been able to since like haha.) Ok the bridge. It lets it down. It is crap. It has grub screws into the saddles for adjustment and they just work loose sending the saddle all over the place and the most annoying rattle (which the amp does pick up). After my 1st 10 minute play at home they where falling out into my palm. I put them back and set up the bridge again and the same happened again. The solution to this my friends is easy. Remove the bridge and put it in the bin. Get a replacement bridge without the grub screws on the saddles (I paid 35 from string directs) and drop it in. This solves the problem and I now have a decent little guitar.

Righty ho I got a Vintage Modified Squier Mustang in sonic blue about 2 weeks ago and there doesn't seem to be many reviews so here goes. It was made in Indonesia 2012, it is a short scale 24", Vintage style Kluson "esque" tuners with white plastic pegs, large 70's style headstock, Duncan Designed pickups, phase in out & off switch on each. It has a mustang/jag style tremolo and bridge (toploading). I think it is a bass wood body (at this price) & a rosewood neck. The body is the classic Mustang shape in a lovely sonic blue, the finish is a thick polyurethane the kind that chips away rather than wears like nitrocelluose. It isn't a contour body, more a tele slab. You get a single volume & tone pot with a generic black knob. As you would imagine for a short scale it is nice and light and the strap buttons are a reasonable size, comfortable to play standing or sitting. No accessories apart from some allen keys. Keep these. You will need them!

Maineguitarist
    I tried this guitar at Buckdancer's Choice, and immensly enjoyed it. Played it for about two hours. I will maintain that it is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played.
    ColoCoug
    All you need to do with the bridge saddle screws is to put blue Loctite or clear nail polish on them, adjust them and let it sit for a few minutes. The screws won't move again unless you use a wrench on them.
    johndykey
    Loctite is a pain in the arse mate on such tiny grub screws as I said above. Plus if you ever wanted to adjust them for a set up they would be that tight they would round the head off and be stuck forever. Throw em in the bin. Stringsdirect.com and search through the parts mate it's been a lil while now but that's the best way in my humble opinion. You shouldn't really be choking out on a 9 1/2 " radius fella, try some heavier strings like 12s, might sort all your problems nice and cheap