Vintage Modified Mustang review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Mustang

This Vintage Modified Mustang I picked up was completely new from this year (2016), made in Indonesia, and let me say Indonesia is making pretty nice guitars nowadays. I was debating between this and the VM Jazzmaster and a real difference for me was the additional fret, I'm used to playing 24 fretters and the highest I'll go up to, pretty frequently, is the 22nd. For a pretty cheap guitar, $100 below the JM, this guitar plays as well, or better than the JM. This guitar is made of basswood, has a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. Many people are against basswood, but it's actually a very light and accentuating material. There's not much "tone" in basswood, but that really gives way for the pickups to shine. The maple neck has the classic "skunk stripe" in the back of the neck and is gloss finished. The gloss isn't as sticky as one may think, I have pretty sweaty hands and I hated gloss on the back of my guitar necks until I picked this up and my sweat acted kind've like a lubricant and made it slicker.

A nice dark piece of rosewood came in my guitar and I can't be happier with it, it feels really nice beneath my fingers with the 9.5" radius. The bridge was also a deal breaker the bridge on the Jag and Jazzmaster were far too unstable, but the Mustang bridge was just right. A LITTLE buzz in the bridge was present, but this wasn't a big deal so I left it, untilllll... the high E was cut at the nut too close to the fretboard, though switching around the bridge solved both problems though. The pickups are covered passive and the controls are weird but very versatile, including a hum canceling position. The volume and tone control are just standard. The pickups are very quacky, you can get meat out of them though if you know how to dial your tone. Tuners are just normal vintage style, I'm not used to vintage style tuners, but they aren't that difficult to deal with. It comes with some Allen wrenches and it's tremolo arm. The tremolo worked pretty well until I switched the bridge around, which makes sense, but yeah it's more for slight wavers like a bigsby.

This guitar fits a few of my styles very well. Funk, punk, rock, and grunge. Lower distortion and bright cleans are where this guitar shines. With high gain there's buzzing like any single coil, but the hum canceling position can solve that. Nice and bright it's very unique and definitely a fender. I've used this through quite a few amps including practice amps and you can get something different, but good every time. There's so many sounds that it can get overwhelming sometimes so I find a few sounds and just stick to them.

The guitar was set up very well from the factory, although the strings (10s) are very loose on the 24" scale so I'll probably move to 11s or 12s, but that's no big deal. Pickups were factory speck so near perfect for me and the finish is a beautiful off white that is truly a guitargasm. It is flawless in every respect except one, even my girlfriend was in love. The one thing off was the nut, but I solved that quick and easy. It had mid action, a bit too high for me, so I adjusted it and within 3 minutes had it the way I like it. If you don't know how to set a guitar up it may take a while, but it gets pretty easy when you start experimenting and researching.

The first day I got this guitar I played this guitar on stage for church, and I play hard. It stood up well and there was no problem with the strap or anything, I will put strap locks on anyway though. I wouldn't use this without a backup though cause that's never a smart idea so that's just me personally, but I have trust that this wouldn't break down in the middle of a set. The finish is poly so it will basically last forever, it may chip if you're hard on it like me :) But otherwise not, poly is thick and durable so it won't wear down like nitro if you like a resilient finish especially in this beautiful creme.

This guitar is beautiful and fits in very well for a few styles of music, I've been playing for three years (relatively short time) but have played MULTIPLE guitars and performed for hundreds of people at the same time. I would no doubt buy this guitar again, I may but another anyway :D. I compared it to many guitars besides the other Squiers including Fender Mustang and this was more classically designed and played better all in all it's perfect for me and it will be my baby for years to come.