Vintage Modified Strat review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Strat

Price paid: € 330

Purchased from: Local Store

I myself play a lot of metal but I also like to play some rock and blues from time to time. For metal I let my Squier rest on it's stand, It can handle it beautyfully, but I prefer my Ibanez for this stuff. For rock and blues my Squier gets a lot of playtime, it's simply made for it. I'm gonna talk about every pickup one-by-one. Bridge: this Duncan Designed Humbucker is VERY bright, It's best to roll of some treble using it. A tone control for this pickup would be nice. Middle: this Single coil has lower output then the one installed in the neck, I switched it around because I like low output in the neck for a smooth and warm sound, which this pickup handles quite well while retaining the Strat Twang. Neck: Higher output then the middle, Sounds brighter and more snappier also, I chose to put this pickup in the middle for some bright funk-twang.

For what I play it's an alright match, Not the best but it handles everything wel. I've been playing for 3 and a half years now and have owned this guitar for the last 2 of 'm, I own 3 other guitars but still find myself picking this one up regulary. What I wish I had asked before I got it? "can I have two of these?" It's simply a comfortable guitar with not too fancy looks. I compared it to a Squier VM Jagmaster and an Epiphone G-400, This one played better then both of them. I wish it had a tone control for the bridge but that's all really.

Will this guitar play Live gigs? Yes, Just make sure that the input jack doesn't come loose and it doesn't fall off the strap. It's pretty dependable but I won't gig without a backup, Simply because a string break is in a small corner. Like I said before, The finish is good enough but will wear over-time.

The Factory set up on this guitar was alright, The action was pretty high but that was easily fixed with the allen key provided with the guitar. It intonates well and the frets are level. The finish is Thick, but by playing and gigging it wore away where my arm rests on the body, but i have pretty agressive sweat. The neck pocket is Tight, I once took the neck off and had to apply some force to get it back in.

This Squier, Made in 2007 in Indonesia, Is quite the nice one. The finish is called "Gun Metal Grey" Which is Basicly a Metallic Grey. It's H-S-S With Duncan Designed Pickups, The singles are hum-cancelling. The control set-up is 1 Volume and 2 Tone knobs, The Volume is a Master volume. The bottom Tone knob controls the middle single coil and the middle Tone knob controls the neck single coil, this means there is no tone control over the bridge. For me not a big deal but for some it may be. It's made of Indian Cedar wood which is not exactly the best tonewood there is. The neck is maple, Mine has a little bit of flame too it. It has a rosewood fretboard with 21 medium-jumbo frets. It has a Vintage style 6 screw Strat trem which is very unstable so I blocked it off.

limpidgreen345
    rancidryan wrote: Unique features: Vintage Style Tremolo, Custom Pickguards by Color, Gold and Black Squier Logo, Engraved Neckplate, White Plastic Parts, Dot Position Inlays / i have never seen another guitar with these features like EVER!
    What makes this one special is that you can also attach up to six thin metal wires to the front of the guitar.
    IXGibsonXI
    they're nice guitars but they never stay in tune and theyre kinda beginner guitars. and for almost 300$?! thats dumb, you can save up like 100 more and get a really good guitar
    Nealio
    Some pretty foolish comments here, but c'est la vie. The last picture, with the cherry sunburst...I tried one at GC on a lark...and ended up playing every song I knew on it. Two hours later, still in tune and still impressed. It's lighter than I expected and the p/ups are very Fender-y and aggressive. I loved this model (and am sure will end up with it, in addition to my Classic 50's Player strat). Squier ain't your kids' guitar brand anymore. Oh, by the way, if I can get the vibe and tone I want out of a guitar $200 less than a similar-model Fender, I'll buy the less expensive one--so everyone's got their own opinions and own methods. In the end it's all good.
    levnde
    This was my first guitar in cherry sunburst. This model is far better than most of the other low end squiers. I don't use this guitar anymore but every time i pull it out, people are amazed that its setup is so good. This is a good example that you don't have to buy a name brand or spend a fortune for it to feel, look and sound good(even though this is made by Fender)
    DMC59
    Some of the comments here about Squiers are almost hilarious. The haters lump them all together as though they're all crap. Sure, spend $120 and you will get crap. Spend $300-350 and it's a different story. Keep in mind, even $350.00 is CHEAP for a guitar, so if it needs upgraded tuners, it is still a good deal. Just look at what mid-price is for a guitar and maybe a person will get a better perspective.