Vintage Modified Strat review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Strat

Purchased from: Instrumental Music

This guitar is one of the best Strats I have played. Don't be put out by the Squier logo on the headstock. This guitar will blow you away. I actually got it as my 6th guitar. It's based off a 1960's Stratocaster with custom touches. At first I didn't like it as much as I thought I would but now it's my main guitar. I'm in a few bands and it fits them all perfectly. I play my Strat though a Bugera V55 and sometimes a HOT Rod Deluxe III and it has incredible tone. The bridge pickup is very bright and spanky. Turn it down to 8 and you get a perfect Tele tone. The middle pickup is nice sounding. I use that pickup a lot actually and it sounds very clean and clear. The neck pickup is very fat sounding but very bright at the same time. The in between positions are very quacky and sound awesome. If you need a fatter sound for this guitar, don't change the pickups. Roll off some tone on the tone pot. That's what it's for. I discovered that if you are in position 2 you can get a nice smooth fat tone by rolling off the tone to 7. All in all, great sound and very versatile.

This is the best Squier on the market. It has the feel of a new Strat but the tone of a Vintage 60's Strat when it was brand new. When my bass player saw that it was a Squier, he instantly hated it. When I plugged in and played it he said it sounded too good to be a Squier. If you must have "Fender" on the headstock, you are missing out. If this were stolen I would buy two more. This is one of the best Strats I've ever played!

This guitar is built like a tank.

When I first played this guitar. The first thing that surprised me was the fret job. It was incredibly smooth down the sides of the neck. Also the nut was cut perfectly. The slots were big enough to take 12s. The setup was perfect. No buzz at all. Another thing I love about this is that it holds tune well when you use the whammy bar.

Mine was made in 2008. 21 frets. Rosewood fingerboard, maple "C" shaped tinted neck. On mine the neck feels bigger than a standard Strat. One piece Indian Red Cedar body in Metallic Red finish. The bridge is a Vintage style blocked tremolo. Has awesome Duncan Designed SC101 pickups. 5-way selector with one volume and 2 tone controls.

rv_phoenix
    Good Squiers, like this one or the Classic Vibe Series, are beter than most of the Made in Mexico Fenders. Too bad the Bullets and the Affinties are so cheesy.
    Bluesman62999
    I purchased my VM 3 tone sunburst and with Duncan Designed PU. They sound pretty good and i am going to replace them into a Frankenstrat i have for my guinea pig guitar and replace them with the Vintage Strat Toneriders. I find that it goes out of tune Some and i am replacing the Tremolo with a Guitar Fetish solid brass block and the nut is going to be replaced with Black Tusq XL nut and string trees as well as the bridge string guides with the Tusq XL Guides and I'll solve the tuning problems along with Fender Bullets 9'S and ALL the parts will be going to the Frankenstrat but the PU will defiantly be staying on Franky and change parts as needed. I set it up to have the Tremolo to float on the Squier VM and the Frankenstrat I'll block the Tremolo and see if the tuning problems still exist. I purchased the Squier at a Hock Shop for $180.00 Canadian Funds and i am completely satisfied with the Neck "C" shape Gold Logo Stamped neck plate feels great plays like Butter and the PU are a very good sound. Bridge PU 11.5 Middle 6.8 and the Neck is 7.0 Ohms respectively. The Finish is great and the Indian Red Ceder body is also a very nice finish. All in all Great Bones in need of some TLC is all but i would defiantly buy another if i had lost this one for sure. Its called a Hellicaster after some excellent help from Fender Public Relations Manager Helli Lanz. So hence the new name of My Great Playing Hellicaster and $545.00 List Price American Totally Satisfied. Nine's all the way around so Yeah there are those who speak before the have already spoken without EVER holding or playing a Squier VM Strat in thier hands and spit on the area of Our world where it was made and I'm Proud to say Mine is from India and a great job with the production and the completion Hey it works for me but not all. Bluesman62 Canada...
    RoKHED
    Squier is to Fender as Epiphone is to Gibson.. at Guitar Center- the Vintage Mod 'd Strat runs for two-fitty.. where I am getting mine, it will be $265 including tax.. greetings from Taxachusetts! land of the progressives and home of the greenhorns!
    mechanic1908
    I have a VM 70's Strat, and it's very nice. Plays great, stays in tune (if I don't go crazy with the trem) and sounds great with the Duncan designed pickups. Only down side I've found is the bridge saddles and trem. block are crap! Swap out those parts and you have a killer guitar for a very reasonable price.
    ard.nas
    The're GREAT guitars (not the later ones with Basswood bodies) excellent paint job,nice neck , good tuners (if your guitar stays out of tune all the time then tighten the nuts on the upper site of the tuners, problem fixed.
    jbblackley
    RE: Squiers in general, there are two comments I most often hear: 1) Junk. 2) OK (with this qualifier added) -- for the money. The Vintage Modified series and the Classic Vibe series are more than that. Both are excellent guitar models in their own right. They compare well against more expensive guitars. I am not suggesting they're better than their Fender cousins, but they rival the quality of a MiM Fender, which, like the VM and CV series, saw some compromises made to save $$. Comparing a VM Strat to a Bullet Strat or Affinity is like saying a Chevy Suburban is a P.O.S. because a Chevy Spark is.
    Superjohnny
    I picked one up in a pawn shop for $75 in Springfield, Illinois summer 2013. This is one of the best stratocasters I have ever played. Crafted in India. And, I have played at least a couple of hundred strats. This is not a Chinese affinity or a bullet. This tops any MIMexico Strat I've ever played. Classic Vibe Stratocaster. You find one, you buy. The pickups are what you want to hear from a strat.
    MaggaraMarine
    limpidgreen345 wrote: rancidryan wrote: Unique features: Vintage Style Tremolo, Custom Pickguards by Color, Gold and Black Squier Logo, Engraved Neckplate, White Plastic Parts, Dot Position Inlays / i have never seen another guitar with these features like EVER! What makes this one special is that you can also attach up to six thin metal wires to the front of the guitar.
    +1, lol
    DaniArrow
    i got that one and a classic vibe 50s tele. the tele's a little better but this one's great also. i see no difference to the mex fenders. if you want a better, but also more expensive one that's worth the money, you'd have to get a mex road worn or american standard or sth in that price range. (talking only about squier / fender guitars)
    melodic-1
    Put a Callaham Trem on this and scrub the sticker of, replace with fender and none of you would know. These guitars are great for the money....but they put a cheap bridge on. Get a Callaham.
    melodic-1
    I agree with SuperJohnny. If you're thinking Affinity quality you're way off. This is a strat, feels like a strat and the pickups do sound great.