Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom

Purchased from: eBay

I believe the model that I have is the standard Indonesian, whatever year it was innovated. Anyways, 21 Jumbo frets, one piece maple neck, Solid, Basswood body (Not as bad as you'd think but I'll get into that later) nice gloss finish on body and the neck, standard Tele ashtray style bridge, 2 tone 2 volume, three way LP switch (always thought that was an interesting choice as apposed to the traditional Tele toggle switch), Duncan Designed Tele Single Coil in the bridge, and a Fender Wide Range (it doesn't say it but I suspect it's also Duncan Designed) Tuners seem to be vintage style which in my opinion are, while a cool consistency with the original 72', are also finnicky. Didn't get anything with it because of the eBay trade, but you get what you pay for I guess.

My style ranges from classic 50's rockabilly to straight up Marylin Manson and just about everything in between, with heavy focus in on the emo/pop punk genre, and I don't really see why people give this guitar so much hate. Personally I'll usually put it through a multi effect pedal (DigiTech RP255) or just straight through an amp (Fender Frontman 25R) and either way it doesn't sound to bad. I will say that the only time I can't get too much sound out of it is when I play it through the clean channel on the amp but that may be because of the brighter EQs that I much prefer to the warmer ones (call me crazy) the Bridge pickup can give a great, chimey, distorted sound, and when you roll the volume back (and thank god for separate volume pots so switching from dirty to clean is a pickup selector switch away) it gives that classic Tele Twang. The Humbucker in constrat gives a much more warm, earthy tone, in my opinion sounding much like a Les Paul neck pickup, and surprisingly more susceptible to dirtying up (although that may be because of the botched up pickup height I got that I haven't been able to fix yet... I'll update when that does get fixed.)

Well being that it's a Squier you have to give the setup some pity, and be willing to do some work yourself, so the action was a problem, but I'll let it slide because to me it's part of the experience to set it up yourself. Pickup height could've been better but again: production costs. as far as I can tell the only thing stopping the guitar from being perfect hardware wise is that the pup selector sometimes gets loose but that's mostly because I flick it like a madman. really wish I could tighten that up to whit's end.

well I've had the guitar for a couple months and so far it's been my best (not saying much seeing as I had a lot of finicky guitars before hand but it's still pretty cool in my eyes. hardware seems like it'll last for a while, but mostly this is my fix until I can get an actual '72 Custom. still pretty durable for what it's worth. finish hasn't chipped (yet) but I'm kind of a concentration camp with my guitars... another thing I'll keep you posted on. Strap buttons are solid as a rock however, and I don't think they're going anywhere, seeing as this is a Squier though for that soul fact and their reputation with inconsistency take everything I say with a grain of salt as every model with them is truly and "unique" experience.

personally for the amount of pop punk and emo music I play, despite the norm of the genre, my playing style fits in perfectly. basically what I do is I leave the Bridge volume rolled up, and the neck pickup down to about 3 or 4 depending on the setting, and I'll use the bridge for leads, middle position for rhythm stuff, and the neck for a clean tone. and if I want to get real saucy with things I'll turn up the volume on the bridge for some great warmer tones. I've been playing for about ten years, and I personally love this style. as much as my heart is set on getting a more genuine '72 I would be happy with having this for a while. if this were lost or stolen I'd probably go back to playing one of my other guitars, and save up for a real '72 but don't let that stop you from getting it if you don't have your heart set on the real deal, this is almost just as great. personally the on thing I wish this guitar had was the non vintage tuners, other than that it's a truly great guitar.

fercuellobluesband
    exelente guitarra a un muy buen precio, yo la tengo hace casi un año y no tengo quejas al respecto ... tal vez, el microfono del mango(neck) no sea el mejor, aunque suene decente. eso seria lo unico que cambiaria .... lo demas esta muy bien, mi tele tiene cerca de 20 shows de hora y media con mi banda de rock y nunca un problema, altamente recomendable !!! le daria un 8 sin dudarlo !!
    depech
    Too many assumptions just because "it's a Squier". In a review one would expect an evaluation based on your experience with the instruments.
    Variax61
    I mean The only time I referenced the brand was when I was talking about the stuff you can fix (setup, loose bolts) so I really don't see the point in what you're saying...