G300 review by Stagg

Stagg: G300

Purchased from: Belle Air Music

I play most types of metal, including Black Sabbath, Tiamat, AC/DC and also some forms of pop/punk. I'm using with a Marshall amplifier, and with stock pickups, it sounded clean, but with slight buzz on bridge pickup. This can be easily fixed with simply raising the Action. I replaced the stock pickups with Gibson P-90 pickups, and it sounds Exactly like a Gibson SG. It now makes the Perfect AC/DC and Black Sabbath crunchy sound. I rate it an eight, because it's Stock pickups were somewhat weak, but they are reasonable, considering the price.

This axe matches my style perfectly (AC/DC) and seems like it will outlast me. My favorite part about this guitar is the way that it looks, it has an incredible finish, and it's got that classic SG shape. In comparison to my SG Special, I would say this on is far better. It only cost me $449 including the p90s, but the SG cost far more. If this guitar was stolen, I would cry, then buy another one.

This guitar does withstand live playing, even with the stock pickups, it has a great sound. The hardware seems like it will outlast me, I would definately use it without backup.

The action was to low for my taste, but it is very easily ajustable. The finish on this guitar is perfect. It didn't have a scratch on it, and it stands up very well to everyday wear and tear. The controls were set up nicely at the factory. It did require extensive tuning when it came out of the box though.

Made in 2005, in China. 22 frets, with pearl alien crop circle inlays on the neck. Black gothic matte finish, very nicely built. 2 humbuckers, stock brand unknown, but I replaced mine with Gibson P-90's. SG style body with slight alteration at bottom. Locking tuners. Two volume and tone knobs. 3-way selector. Came with cable and tools.

BUTCHY13
    I would just like to point out to rv_phoenix that this guitar does have a solid mahogany body and a solid mahogany neck which is set into the solid mahogany body with glue and not a neck plate. If you are going to write about all of these guitars with such disdain (and I notice you have a lot to say about a lot of cheap guitars) you should at least know what you are talking about. Also, I find it strange that you call people who own this guitar and play this guitar, liars when they describe how it sounds after they've changes the pick ups. A cheap guitar can earn a good score because it is judged within it's price range just as an expensive guitar can have a low rating because they fail to live up to their price tag. One final thought, a few years ago I was told by a guitar shop that Gibson upped their prices for no other reason than they could because they were Gibson. No exchange rate problems, no extra specs, they just could. I have this guitar and after setting it up it is awesome. If you'd like to call me a liar rv_pheonix, I'm sure a visit to your Gibson dealership could be arranged!
    OttovanZanten
    dgermai1
    brad.cooper.353
    ^Well Said^ I own several guitars for multiple play styles, one being a Strat, and this (G300)is still my favorite to play. I've had it for several years and I still love it. I'd buy this guitar again over an Epiphone SG, but if I had the extra cash, I'd definitely have to go with a Gibson SG. But for the money, this is an outstanding guitar.
    rv_phoenix
    dgermai1 wrote: I got a G300 and am having a ball with it . I am not a pro, just a garage blaster. It has the feel and sound of an SG, I know it's not an SG, but it is very close to the sound and the feel.
    ... And Mars is a planet very close to ours!
    Barkeeper
    OttovanZanten wrote: erm, kain_doom01, that's pretty logical, the sound depends on ur distortion + ur pickups the rest of the guitar doesn't really matter
    don't underestimate the influence of wood. A Les Paul made of alder doesn't give you the Les Paul sound.
    SG_Ronin
    I got one of those as well they are very good solid guitars I got mine for about 180 bucks and am gonna put some EMGs on it pretty soon.
    alexybailey
    Ive got one of thoes its awsome, great sound cool look nice feel and good action. Im using it through a peavey rage 158 amp and its awsome. im only a beginner so i can only say its good for beginners but i love it.
    Kain_Doom01
    Really? Then I might buy one XD That's far cheaper than getting the SG itself XD Awesome, the Cheap Bastard's SG...I like that title....
    zinsane
    I'm planning to get this guitar and install Seymour Duncan pickups on it. I would like to know if this guitar is durable and does my plan worth my money.
    eyeofsetSG
    Sounds and plays like a real SG. Neck is thinner than an Epiphone SG but about the same as a Gibson.
    eyeofsetSG
    Sounds and plays like a real SG. Got mine for $226. Neck is a little thinner than an Epiphone SG but about the same as a Gibson.
    themitko97
    This is going to be my first electric guitar.I'm going to buy it after 29 days and 1 hour.The wait is going to kill me but it will be worth it.
    StefanWylde
    I bought a used G300-GBK an hour ago for 50 euros. It feels very cheap but I really dig the fat neck, it's amazing how fast you can shred on this cheap piece of sh*t. Yes the tone is not very good but for 50 euros I'm very happy with the purchase.
    rv_phoenix
    How can it be a "standard G guitar", when it doesn't use the mahogany for the neck and body, nor the set-neck construction? It's just a cheap appearence of an SG, having no relationship whatsoever with the original. In terms of sound, it's like a teddy-bear beating in a tin-can drum. It retains nothing from the SG's sustain, its razor-sharp pickup response, or the beautiful clean "chunky" chords you can actually play on an original SG. Just a piece of firewood, made up to fool innocent neophytes.