H300 review by Stagg

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Stagg: H300

Purchased from: Ebay

The sound would be best described as average. The Bridge pickup is good, but the neck pickup is pretty weak. It also buzzes when you aren't playing it, but this can be stopped by putting a finger on one of the pickups. The lack of a tone controller also weakens the guitar in this area. I play mostly my own compositions, my lead playing is mostly influenced by Slash & Billy Duffy. For this, the guitar may be OK for the occasional bit of lead using the Bridge pickup, but anytime I want the fuller sound of the neck pickup I'll need to Switch guitars.

I've been playing for around 20 years, and have owned loads of guitars over the years, from entry level budget guitars to Gibson's & Gretsch's. I mainly purchased this as I wanted to add a Mockingbird style guitar to my collection and found this one for 40. I was especially drawn to it because of it's colour, these are mostly found in black which caters nicely for the target market (I assume they're aimed at metal/thrash players), but as I don't play anything that heavy (the heaviest I get is GNR/Cult style rock) I was glad to find one that was a bit different - I think this is the only green one I've ever seen. For the price I paid it was a bargain, but if it were stolen/lost I definitely wouldn't rush out and buy an identical guitar, although I wouldn't rule out trying an identical one in a shop to see if the issue with the high action has been sorted since mine was made. I love the look of it and I think it would look great on stage chugging out a few riffs. It would definitely be noticed. In summary, this guitar is a long way from being perfect, but if someone wanted a well built guitar to modify with upgraded pickups & bridge, I'd recommend it.

Everything about this guitar feels solid, having spent a few hours playing it I can't imagine anything breaking. I can't say I'd use it for a gig without a backup as I probably wouldn't choose it for gigging, but that's due to the issue with the neck pickup's sound & the buzzing issue rather than anything to do with it's reliability.

There are no obvious flaws on the guitar itself, it feels like it's pretty well made and everything feels really solid. Unfortunately the action is quite high which affects it's playability a bit. As this is the case with the Bridge already at it's lowest setting it loses several points there. The only other negative is that the fretboard feels somewhat "dry" (not sure if that's really the right way to put it, but it'll do). I can't blame the factory for this as I purchased second hand so I'll blame the previous owner for not maintaining it very well. I expect an application of fretboard lubricant will resolve the issue.

Bought second hand, so I don't know when it was made, but it doesn't feel very old. It has 24 frets, 2 humbucker pickups and a nice natural finish. It looks awesome - mine is a transparent green, which shows the grain of the wood nicely. It doesn't have a tone controller, but the volume control is a metal knob and has a nice smooth action with no interference. The only negative with it's features aside from the lack of a tone control is the pickup Switch - it's set the wrong way round for what you'd expect - you have to have it pointing towards the neck to activate the Bridge pickup and vice versa. Probably an easy fix, but mildly annoying until I get around to it.

GaryBillington
    Something I missed from my review - the picture at the top of the page is actually the H400, the H300 is a standard Mockingbird shape.
    edwinleono
    Nope, you are wrong. the picture at the top is actually the H300. i own one.