H300 Review

2,651
reviews (3) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
H300 Reviewed by: GaryBillington, on august 16, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Bought second hand, so I don't know when it was made, but it doesn't feel very old. It has 24 frets, 2 humbucker pickups and a nice natural finish. It looks awesome - mine is a transparent green, which shows the grain of the wood nicely. It doesn't have a tone controller, but the volume control is a metal knob and has a nice smooth action with no interference. The only negative with it's features aside from the lack of a tone control is the pickup Switch - it's set the wrong way round for what you'd expect - you have to have it pointing towards the neck to activate the Bridge pickup and vice versa. Probably an easy fix, but mildly annoying until I get around to it. // 7

Sound: The sound would be best described as average. The Bridge pickup is good, but the neck pickup is pretty weak. It also buzzes when you aren't playing it, but this can be stopped by putting a finger on one of the pickups. The lack of a tone controller also weakens the guitar in this area. I play mostly my own compositions, my lead playing is mostly influenced by Slash & Billy Duffy. For this, the guitar may be OK for the occasional bit of lead using the Bridge pickup, but anytime I want the fuller sound of the neck pickup I'll need to Switch guitars. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: There are no obvious flaws on the guitar itself, it feels like it's pretty well made and everything feels really solid. Unfortunately the action is quite high which affects it's playability a bit. As this is the case with the Bridge already at it's lowest setting it loses several points there. The only other negative is that the fretboard feels somewhat "dry" (not sure if that's really the right way to put it, but it'll do). I can't blame the factory for this as I purchased second hand so I'll blame the previous owner for not maintaining it very well. I expect an application of fretboard lubricant will resolve the issue. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Everything about this guitar feels solid, having spent a few hours playing it I can't imagine anything breaking. I can't say I'd use it for a gig without a backup as I probably wouldn't choose it for gigging, but that's due to the issue with the neck pickup's sound & the buzzing issue rather than anything to do with it's reliability. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for around 20 years, and have owned loads of guitars over the years, from entry level budget guitars to Gibson's & Gretsch's. I mainly purchased this as I wanted to add a Mockingbird style guitar to my collection and found this one for 40. I was especially drawn to it because of it's colour, these are mostly found in black which caters nicely for the target market (I assume they're aimed at metal/thrash players), but as I don't play anything that heavy (the heaviest I get is GNR/Cult style rock) I was glad to find one that was a bit different - I think this is the only green one I've ever seen. For the price I paid it was a bargain, but if it were stolen/lost I definitely wouldn't rush out and buy an identical guitar, although I wouldn't rule out trying an identical one in a shop to see if the issue with the high action has been sorted since mine was made. I love the look of it and I think it would look great on stage chugging out a few riffs. It would definitely be noticed. In summary, this guitar is a long way from being perfect, but if someone wanted a well built guitar to modify with upgraded pickups & bridge, I'd recommend it. // 6

H300 Reviewed by: sniper_wolf90, on october 01, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar Heaven

Features: The H300 has a solid alder body, hard maple neck and a rose wood fretboard. 2 humbuckers. A 3-way toggle switch, good stock humbuckers, tune-o-matic gride and diecast machine heads. It also has a gothic finnish. I think it has non locking tuners, but I'm not entirely sure tho. No gigbags or anything when I got it tho, which was dissapointing. // 7

Sound: I play heavy to death and black metal, and it suits them all quite well. I also play hard and classic rock, Alt, some punk, and glam rock and also shock rock, and it does the job quite nicely. I have a Samick LA1OR 20W practice amp and a distortion stompbox, phaser, and a wah, and it actually works nicely with all of them. It's not too noisy, although you do get some bad feed back if you close to any electronics, which is to be expected. The nice thing about this guitar is that it holds all tunings very well, drop B, drop C, you name it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was kinda low when I got it, whick is too be expected of a display model. The strings kinda rubbed on the fretwire at first, but I raised the action and it works just fine now. The pickups werent adjusted very well, the bridge was too low, and the neck was way too high for my liking, but again, I adjusted it and it now works and plays like a dream. The biggest flaw I found in it is that the 2nd fretwire wasn't filed enough, although a buddy of mine said his was like that. The pickup selector was kinda noisy, but I put some sealent around on the inside and it's not too god awful bad now, tho it's still noticable. The volume knob was nice and secure when I got this guitar, but after 4-5 months of playing it fell off and I lost it, which isnt too bad for this guitar I suppose. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Honestly, I would take this guitar to a gig with no back up. It plays nicely, sounds good, and it has never taken a crap on me yet. Atleast %90 of the hardware I think will last no problem. The strap buttons I had to replace with straplocks, which hey, are you gonna complain about $15 straplocks when you got a nice guitar? It will easily withstand anything you throw at it, it's a good solid, tough guitar. The gothic finnish is actually amazing. I don't know how many times I have dropped this guitar and it came out with no scratches. I have it over a year now and I have yet to see any wearing off on the paint from my pick, my arm, or anything else. // 9

Overall Impression: Once again I play metal. All kinds. This guitar will blow you away for this. I've been playing for about a year and a half, and my first guitar, a Peavey Raptor, died on me rather terribly. So I took to a guitar store and asked how much he'd give me for it. he said $75 tops. And then I saw this guitar, and it was over. I even took this guitar over a Strat, Ibanez RG, Jackson V, and a switch Wild1. I don't regret buying trhis guitar in the least little bit. The thing I love about this gutaris it takes what I put it through, without dying on me in anyway. I would like to replace the humbuckers with some EMG's or DiMarzios tho. The one thing I always wish I still had was a whammy bar on it. // 8

H300 Reviewed by: hagymaagy, on august 01, 2012

Purchased from: a small store in Miskolc, Hungary

Features: So... I wanna begin with that I did not really look forward to buying this guitar. I just went into a shop, seen this one, tried it out and bought it. I know that it has 24 frets, it's a 25.5" scale. It has an alder body, a hard maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, a set of DieCast tuners (which are pretty darn good) and a reverse headstock. Now I have the Gothic version, which I don't know if it is any different from the regular black one in terms of electronics, but the pickups are kinda good for a cheap guitar. I think they are HWW HOT humbuckers, but I'm really not sure about that. The bridge is pretty cool for metal rhythm playing, the neck is nice for clean tones. The only downside is the lack of a tone knob. This would not be the problem, but you know that sound when you roll the tone knob all the way back, and it is mostly bass and mud coming out of the guitar... Now that is the sound of this one. It can be EQ'd out, but I had to make a little modification to the bridge humbucker to make it sound like a proper humbucker. // 9

Sound: It pretty much suits my music style. I mean I play metal, and this guitar was made for metal. Though as I said, the humbuckers are muddy... Kind of. The first time I tried it (at the store) I played it through a Mega Amplification something-something amp. It sounded nice enough to convince me that this is actually a good guitar. At home I ran it through a Peavey 5150 (the stack, not the combo), and a Peavey Backstage II. The first one sounded OK, the second one was a sh-tfest, 'cus the Backstage sucks. I did not even hear much pickup noise. As I hit my first chord on this guitar, I was surprised. It was nice, thick, beefy and chunky. The knob though (yeah, there's only one. Talk about minimalism...) is bad. I mean REALLY bad. I had to check is the pickup is active or not, because as I was rolling the volume back, the sound didn't clean up. Yeah, the signal got weaker... After a while, then it completely shut itself up. I don't even know if it's the knob or this weird pickup, but - though it's passive - it feels like an active pickup with the wrong knob installed. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was a complete disaster. The action was raised all the way up, and I could barely fret a note. The pickups were down all the way, so they did not pick up anything. The intonation was really off. I had to work on it for like 2 hours to get it set up properly. The fret wire was filed... Wait, it wasn't. The fret wire ends hanging off the neck and the fretboard are plain annoying. They cut my hand several times. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I would not take this guitar to a live show. Ever. It's not about the poor construction (the construction isn't too poor...) or the small strap buttons (the strap buttons are pretty huge), it's one major flaw that ruins everything: neck diving. The headstock is so heavy, it dives. At the store I couldn't strap it up for 2 reasons: the place was so small I could barely stand there with a guitar in my hand, and the guy was all out of straps. I can play it sitting down, no problem. The problem starts where I have to leave my comfy seat, stand up and play like that. It's virtually impossible, because with my right hand I have to support the neck, as well as fret the notes, and I have to watch out for the guitar to not fall over and hit me on the shin with its ridiculously huge and overweight headstock. (That would probably break my leg.) // 6

Overall Impression: I don't like this guitar too much, but I'm stuck with it. I might file off the fret ends, buy better electronics and just do something with it, because I sold my previous guitar (which was a Harley Benton Les Paul 450CS), though I think that was kind of better. I've been playing for 4 years, this is my 3rd guitar and I'm not so pleased with it. I wish I could've strapped it on before buying. I probably wouldn't have bought it then. If it was stolen or lost I'd probably buy an LTD M10 or M50 to replace this one. They're almost the same price. I love that it can do awesome metal tones, I like the abstract body shape, I like the DieCast tuners and that they stay in tune no matter what. I hate that it neck-dives and that the fretwires were filed off so poorly. I basically chose this one because I wanted a new guitar. Something better than the Benton was. I had enough money, I liked it at first, and I bought it. I wish it had a tone knob and a lighter headstock. // 8

Comments