L350 review by Stagg

Stagg: L350

Purchased from: Guitar Amp Keyboard Centre Online

I mainly play metal on my Ibanez RG120, but I bought this guitar to play more rock music. I put my Stagg L350 through my Roland Cube 15X. With the neck humbucker, the cleans sound quite close to a real Acoustic guitar, especially when the tone and volume controls are lowered. The lead tone on the neck pickup is fantastic. I really like the mellow sound that is produced. As for the Bridge pickup, which I use for rhythm, I just wish the pickups had a bit more output, although the pickups do well for earlier Guns N' Roses when the treble on the amp has been raised and the bass lowered.

I play older rock music with this guitar and this is definitely a good match for that. The aesthetics and the tone definitely suit the kind of music I play on this guitar. I also own a cheap Gear4Music Strat copy and an Ibanez RG120. These guitars are all played through my Roland Cube 15X. I used to use the cheap Strat copy for rock and attempted to use it for metal, until I got my RG120. If my Stagg was stolen, I would probably buy another one and then take better care of it. I really like the blueburst finish and the set neck, but I wish the pickups were a more powerful.

This guitar definitely would withstand gigging. I have used it at a gig once, and I took so much punishment and didn't start to fail on me. It stayed in tune too. The hardware seems like it lasts. I've had it for over 2 years and I have had no problem with it. I usually play standing up and the strap buttons have never failed me, even with my cheap strap that is now nearly 3 years old. The finish doesn not wear off, but does require dusting/cleaning often, considering it's dark.

The guitar was set up nicely, but could have been better. I think the pickups should have been raised more so a higher output could have been produced. After a few minutes of playing it, I had to go find my screwdriver to raise them myself. The intonation and action were fine. Everything else was set up fine. I would also like to mention the blueburst finish, which was my favourite aesthetic feature. It looks amazing. My only complaint about the looks would be the tone and volume controls. I do not like the look of them.

This Les Paul style guitar has: - 2 passive humbucker pickups with covers - 2 volume and 2 tone controls - A 3 way pickup selector switch - A solid alder body - A hard maple set neck with a rosewood fingerboard - 22 frets - Cluson style tuners - A tune-a-matic bridge The only feature that I don't like is the cutaway. I think the fret access for the higher frets could be a bit better.

hal.hagan
    As a general comment; We keep getting these flame wars between people who feel that only the most exalted (and expensive) guitars should receive high ratings, and others who feel that the rating received should be relative to other guitars in approximately the same price category. I feel it's important to provide guidance to people relative to the price category. Sure, one can rate the top end Gibson Gold-top that costs $35,000 as a 9.5 or 10 or whatever. Does that mean that every $150 guitar needs to have a rating like 0.2 or 0.3 because they don't reach that pinnacle? Really, what's wrong with someone really liking a $150 guitar and rating it higher or lower than other $150 guitars on a scale of 0 to 10, not on a scale of 0.001 to 0.010. Let's get real, we're trying to help ALL guitarists make some kind of informed choice about guitars they can afford. We'd all love to be able to not need a car, or be happy to forgo a University education to be able to afford a vintage Gibson or Fender. So, does a Squier Affinity Tele match up to a $10,000 vintage Fender Tele... a tiny bit, but for the money the Squier is a darned fun guitar, and plays pretty well, and gets people that can't afford the pinnacle of instruments out there doing what's important - making music. If it's that important to have a scale that includes price within the scale itself, just multiply the rating times the price. If a Les Paul gets an 8.6, multiply the price (say $5,000) by .86 to get a rating of 4300, and that's the real rating for it. Multiply a $150 guitar that gets a 10 by .10, the real rating is 15 - way less than the Gibson. That way even the knobs are happy.
    MaggaraMarine
    rv_phoenix wrote: A 10 for a Stagg? How much would you rate a real guitar, then, let's say a PRS singlecut or a Benedetto Benny? A 274? You don't seem to realize that the LP design works good only if made in mahogany. Alder is much lighter and it adds too much brightness to a guitar whose shape and humbuckers are prone to beefing anyway. The result is a tonal mess. Btw, Stagg's humbuckers are crap: cheap Chinese mass-production. Either you don't have a good amp, either there is something wrong with your ears. Set-in neck doesn't help much to the sustain, because of the woods used in neck & body. Alder doesn't have the same level of resonance and vibration as mahogany: it's wonderful in Strat- or Tele-style guitars, it's just awful in LP- pr SG-style replicas. A 10 for the features, too? For those Chinese tuning keys, God knows if lubricated or not? How much should we rate the original Grovers, if we give 10 to these? Should we mark them with a 327? All in all, such reviews make a lot of damage to guitar learning and practising, because they drive innocent youngsters toward lousy instruments, thus making them abandon or, even worse, adjust to bad instruments (hence getting bad habits). A 2, my fellows.
    If somebody likes the guitar the way it is then he likes it the way it is. It's just somebody's opinion. Of course I don't think any guitar deserves a 10. In every guitar there's something not so good. And something you wish it had.
    tommyboy921
    I find it amusing at best when people go into types of wood & tone. Tone comes from your hands, & pickups mostly. Yes, original LP's were made of mahogany, but I've been playing for almost 40 years & have played "Cheap Chinese pickups" that sounded awesome! Further more, I've put good pickups in an effing plywood guitar and it sounds awesome! An LP style guitar DOES NOT have to be made out of mahogany to sound good. Sometimes I question these overly anal people's comments ability to actually play.
    tommyboy921
    Oh, & Gibson?! I've gone into a guitar store, picked up a 3 THOUSAND dollar Les Paul, bent a string, & it pops out of the saddle! Not to mention, even at those prices, they still have filler around the inlays just like a 160 dollar Glen Burton. If you want quality for your money, as far as LP style guitars with an open book headstock, I'd suggest Edwards. But someone implying that a Stagg LP style guitar can't sound good because it's made of alder & has cheap Chinese pickups..... As the saying goes, opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.
    diablito
    Puedo comprar esta guitarra barata y cambiarle los mics, clavijas y cejuelas? igual que una sx ?