L400 review by Stagg

Stagg: L400

Purchased from: MuziekMetropool Poppeliers

This guitar just totally fits with me, and with my styles, I play blues and even metal. I am using it trough an Avora 35w amplifier what is about fifteen years old, but it's a fine amp. For the blues part is use a Danelectro Overdrive. It is not noisy at all and the sound is really rich and warm.

For metal this guitar is fine, it also looks good with metal music and metal people. I am playing for two years now, and I am about to buy an Epiphone Dot. if it were stolen I would buy an Ibanez with humbuckers or a Carvin, 'cause that guitars are faster, the action is lower, and the sound is really good. What I love about this guitar is how it looks, the gold hardware is just breathtaking, combined with the classic white binding and the classic Les Paul shape. And the sound is just good, I like the humbucker sound. I compared it to some other 200-300EUR guitars with the Les Paul model, like the Samick and Vintage. But that brands just don't have this model so thats actually why I chose for this one.

This guitar will definately withstand live playing, I should bring a backup guitar 'cause I don't like to risk anything, and bring some extra strings 'cause they seem to snap pretty fast. The strap buttons were awful, the worst thing about the guitar, it happened some times that the strap shot loose, so one thing you should definately do is buy yourself some straplocks. I think the hardwarewil last because everything feels solid, and looks okay. It surprises me how well the finish lasts, I play pretty rough and the only scratches are on the back.

The factory did a great job on the guitar, at the inlays I see very little amounts of glue and the screw of the scratchplate is a bit rusty. The tuners are not really great cause they get out of tune pretty often. The pickups were just okay, I lowered them a little bit for playing metal.

I guess the guitar was made round '02 or '03 'cause I bought it new back in '03. It is made in China I think. There are 22 regular thick frets on the hard maple fingerboard. Solid top. The body is made of a nice peace of alder and the neck is maple. The guitar has the famous Les Paul Custom finish which looks really great, but it needs a lot of cleaning. The Tune-O-Matic bridge is a bit high for my styles (metal, classic rock, punkrock) so I am gonna make that thing a bit lower. There is a pretty solid 3-way selector and four nice looking volume and tone knobs. The pickups are from Stagg, and not as dirty as I would like. Good thing about the pickups is that they are almost noiseless. There are Die-Cast tuners on it and they get out of tune pretty fast, which is of course not really convenient when you are on stage. When I bought the guitar only thing in the box was the guitar and a Stagg catalogue. I would really go on stage with this guitar cause it sounds great! And I love the neck, which is pretty fast. I can play bassy blues on the rhythm pickup and I use a Danelectro Overdrive pedal what can make this BB King sound that I like so much, and if you want to play metal, just swith pickup and turn up the distortion and you got a screaming solomachine.