S300 review by Stagg

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Stagg: S300

The sound is I get from this guitar is not that bad. When I got, I was playing stuff like Nirvana and Audioslave, and this guitar was good for that style. I used to plug into a Roland Cube 15 amplifier, and the clean sound was great. The pickups weren't all that noisy even with overdrive, but they got extremely noisy with heavy distortion. I could get nice clean tones for arpeggios and strumming, as well some funk tones. Even with some overdrive, I could get a nice blues tone with it. One thing this guitar is terrible for is metal. You can't play metal with this guitar. The pickups get too noisy, and some of the notes don't even ring out properly. But this guitar isn't built for metal anyways. It's good for rock, blues, and funk.

When I got this I was playing a lot of grunge and rock from the 90s. This guitar was good for that style but now I'm into progressive metal and death metal and shred(Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Bukethead...), and this guitar is terrible for that. The pickups are too weak for those styles, and playing fast just gets noisy with this guitar, especially on the high register. It's good for most things except metal. Right now I own a Line 6 PODxtLive, a Roland Cube 15, and a Dean Vendetta 4\.0. I don't use this guitar much anymore, because it has become useless for me since I have a better guitar. I love the nice clean tone I can get with it, and the neck feels good in my hands.If it were stolen I wouldn't buy another one, because it's generally a beginner's guitar, and doesn't suit the styles I now play. I only wished it had better pickups and locking tuners. That would make this guitar more versatile. But still, it's great beginners guitar, and it's good for rock, funk, blues, grunge, and a bit of Latin.

I've gigged only once with it but it didn't take any beating. The hardware doesn't last all that long. I've had it for around 4 years and and the hardware recently began to oxidize and rust a bit. I've noticed that pickup poles have bits of rust of them, and the bridge is a bit oxidized. The strap buttons are small so I recommend changing them for Live playing. I definitely wouldn't gig with this guitar now that I have new one, but if I had to use it, I wouldn't bring a backup. It goes out of tune after a few songs, but that can easily be fixed.

The action was very high when I got it, but that was easy to take care of. The pickup height was perfect and didn't require any modification. The finish and most of the hardware were flawless. The tuners were too loose and needed some tightening. In general, this guitar was not setup too well, but the modifications it required were minimal.

I got this guitar when I first started learning to play on the electric guitar. It's made in China. It has 21 small frets, a 25.5 inch scale length. I got mine in a transparent red finish. The body looks like a Strat, and the bridge is a six point tremolo bridge. It has 3 passive single coil pickups, a 5-way switch, a master volume, and separate tone knobs for the neck and middle pickup. The tuners are non-locking which makes the whammy bar useless. I got mine with a cable, a gig bag, and a strap.