S300 review by Stagg

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Stagg: S300

Purchased from: Local Shop (winchester, Uk)

My music focuses arround a clean sound such as Led Zeppelin, B.B King, Stone Temple Pilots. This guitar cannot match (in sound qualitly) the guitars they use but for the price payed it can produce a rich full tone thats very satasfying on the top pickup. However the other pickups can produce abit of white noise also they arn't very good at holding harmonics. With the overdrive setting on it feels flat, heartless and empty, i don't recomend them for metal players but on clean its not too shabby.

I wanted a cheap guitar I liked so I can upgrade the pickup's and asphetics when I please, I payed 100 and I got what I payed for so I can't complane. This is a basic begginer guitar that I would recomend for those who like a rich clean sound however this guitar is cheap so don't exspect the world from it or good overdrive sound. For me it is ideal as I like to play Led Zepplin alot and to have a rich clean sound was what I was after in this prise range. I have played Acoustic for several years and want something different with out paying a lot and this guitar has comfortably provided that change. If it were stolen I would be tempted (like most people) to try something new but I am satisyied with it. The features I dislike is the slight white noise when left on standby but I intended to replace the pickup's anyway. I also dislike the dials but I also intended to replace these. The aspects I most prefer with this guitar is the sound the top pickup produces and its apperance. What must be beared in mind is that this is a cheap begginers guitar and it fits that criteria. I am comparing this to other begginers guitars in the 80-140 price range and I feel it deservers a good 7 as the only serous down side is the sound quality but like I keep repeating it is a cheap guitar. However I enjoy playing it and I do recomend it, with some costom work I will be a hole new guitar.

I play for amusment so I can't judge if this would withstand live playing but the wood quality and tuning pegs are soild. However using the whammy bar will put the strings out of tune but one good feature is that it is a screw-in so it wont 'ping' out in a solo. The lead socket on mine was securly screwed in but it is worth keeping an eye on it as they do have a tendency to come loose. The finish is chunky so I can't imagine it wearing off any time soon but like all things they will wear out eventurly. I don't use a strap as I don't play live so I can't comment if the strap pegs are any good but it is a good solid peace of work and should last a long time.

The factory settings were 'ok'. I needed to rejust the teeth as some of the screws wern't all the same. Also I needed to ajust the elevation but that was for my comfort. The pickups were at the correct distance as so they didn't obstruct the strings. The bridge is made of plastic and shouldn't break too easily but I intend to replace this for peace of mind. Mine did have two small finish flaws which the shop offered to replace the guitar but insted I chose a discount as I know over time it will get knoked arround anyway. I also replaced the factory strings with some Ernie Ball super slinkys as they have always been a favoret of mine. Playing the guitar itself is as exspected form a begginers guitar, a nice wide fret board with responsive string bending capabilitys, very easy to get used to. However the string tightening ratio is quite high as any small ajustment using the pegs will have a dramatic change in tone on the string so its best to be careful when setting the guitar down. Also the asphectics such as the tone and volume dials are abit basic but the can be easily pulled off should anyone want to replace them.

I purchased the NS version of the S300 with 21 frets. The body itself is made of solid Alder wood with an intreging walnut printed scratch plate. The wood is semi glossed and looks like a basic Stratocaster copy. The neck is made from Maple with a Rosewood fret board. This guitar is passive featuring three single coil pickups with a five-way selector, two tone dials and one volume dial. Mine came with all the allen keys needed for tweeking and a wammy bar as standard.

I.O.T.M
    6 years on and I'm still playing this guitar. Not because it's good, it's because I'm too poor to buy another guitar.