S300 review by Stagg

Stagg: S300

Purchased from: Penn Avenue Music

The sound is very good for a Strat copy. I thought the Stagg pickups would be very noisy but they are surprisingly quiet and have a decent tone to them. I mainly use Guitar Rig for the computer or run it through my 120 watt halfstack with an Ibanez Overdrive pedal which suites this guitar pretty well. The action is very good with minor fret buzz on the low strings. It is very easy to reach the upper frets because of the smooth neck and fretboard.

This guitar is great for a beginner to intermediate player who is looking for an affordable alternative to a Fender strat. I own a Fender Strat and the weight, balance, and feel are pretty much on target. It lacks a bit in the pickups and electronics compared, but still a very nice guitar in its own right. I actually find myself picking this guitar up when I am practicing and find it very nice.

This guitar, even with Stagg tuners, stays in tune great. I have used the tremolo bar and it stays in tune like a dream. Everything seems like it will hold up fine. I would use this as a backup to my MIM Strat if I needed to. It also seems like it would hold up well to transporting it from place to place. The finish is durable and smooth as glass.

The guitar was setup by a guitar tech and the action is very much to my liking. Nice and low with minimal fret buzz on the lower strings. The guitar did not contain any flaws and the finish is terrific. The neck feels great and is easily accessible when you need to use the upper frets.

I recently purchased a 2010 Stagg S300 red/black made in China. This is a Start shaped guitar which I purchased my 9 year old son who is going to be taking guitar lessons at his school this year. The finish is very nice on the body and the rosewood fingerboard are very nice. The neck is very comfortable and easy to get around. The two tone knobs and the volume knob as well as the pickup selector seem very solid. All-in-all the guitar seems well built and well balanced.

Mr Winters
    Well, I also got this guitar when I started (and it's still my only guitar, getting a new one soon). It's rather mediocre, but for its price, and for what I bought it for -learning- it's good. The worst thing about this guitar is that it has a tremolo that you simply can't use. Well, you may use the tremolo if you don't care about all the strings going out of tune.
    Mr Winters
    And yes, I've played other guitars, including good Jacksons, Charvels and Ibanezes, and I don't think mine is pure shit.
    Confuse-a-Cat
    I have one of these, my first electric. It's not as bad as a lot of people are saying. A few months ago I shimmed the neck to try to get a better action, and I can actually get a decent action on it with little buzz. It plays a lot nicer now than I ever thought it would. Of course the electronics are rubbish, but I reckon if I make a bit of a project out of it and replace the electronics with some stuff from axetec I could possibly make it into something worth playing once in a while.
    highkingnm
    Got it 2day. I've been testin it from 10 til now n the pickups rn't noisy,even with high gain. The tremolo is useless though and locking machine heads are the price of the guitar. It's well finished n for this price it's a wonder. It can do country,blues,indie,rock and metal. For 70 it's bloomin well worth it. The only other problem is the neck. My 1st guitar is a jackson dinky with a very thin neck so to me it feels chunky but to most it'll feel normal
    highkingnm
    ALEX V) wrote: this guitar really sucks how can any one say its good for any thing if ppl who say its good play a better guitar youll no how muc it sUCKS
    I play a pro jackson model n this looks good next to it. It's nearly as good. If urs sucks-It's 70 what did u f*****g expect hey-grow up!!!!!
    rv_phoenix
    There is a certain limitation within the concept of the reviews, here at the UG. For instance, how can you put aside a guitar which costs 70 GBP and one which costs 700 GBP? Not to mention the real guitars, those above 1000 GBP? Second of all: how can you put aside the "review" of someone who knows nothing about music and the real review of someone who has been playing for quite a while? It's a matter of responsability. We don't write here (hopefully) just to show how much equipment do we own or how easily can we use the guitar slang. No: we try to advice fellows - usually those who know less than us -, mostly to prevent them making the same mistakes we did, falling to advertising and buying firewood instead of guitars. Sharply put, Stagg is a crap. The only decent things made by this brand are the plectrums. Guitars have nothing to do with guitars, especially with the classic designs they pretend to emulate. They sound bad, controls are relative (tone controls are, basicly, on/ off switches, above 2 they deliver the same sound), tuning keys are awfull, saddles rust like tin-cans on a beach, they have all sort of fretbuzz and truss-rod adjusting problems. Not to mention the wood, who can reach the average level only if you are a very lucky person. It's not the cheap labour wh's guilty, and that's why I'm so clear and rough with such brands. There are 1000 makes who manufacture in China, Vietnam, Indonesia, even India or Pakistan. Some of them are just brilliant: try any Vintage, Guvnor or Hodson guitar and you'll instantly get the point. Even hi-end guitars, like Fret-King, are manufactured in the Far East. But Stagg, Dimavery, Behringer, Xaviere and other smart guys don't lower the price in order to deliver us a good instrument without emptying our pockets. They just want to speculate the lack of knowledge and get higher profits. The guitar they sell to us with 70 quid is paid to the Chinese plant with 5, and it's unplayable, while the guitar sold by Fret-King with 620 GBP costs 600, but it worths, actually, in terms of quality, twice its price... That's why, I hate to say, but I can't agree with all those happy fellows, who don't seem to realize they were cheated by something which only looks like a guitar, without actually being one. Stagg is firewood. And it worths a 3, not a 10 (good Lord!) or 8,6.