S301 review by Stagg

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Stagg: S301

Purchased from: M&G Music

Well I'm just a student and bought this as a present on my birthday as I started taking the instrument seriously. Pickups are a bit tinny but can manage. Play through a pocket POD so the pickups don't affect it too much. Using an old Fender 15 watt practice amp. Produces a nice twang for blues and country but still capable of sticking it to grunge crowd.

Generally for a student like me it will match what I need it to do until I buy the Telecaster of my dreams. I have been playing for about 6 months and pessess a ancient squire Strat from korea (its 2o years old!! ) I own the amp, and my pocket POD I wish I had checked out Gak.co.uk before buying as I could have got more for my money. I probably would nt buy it again I would have got a squire but The nearest shop was 50 k away. Ho hum. I love it because it looks like Keefs and I love the feel and heft of it. Like I say this was all I could afford and had access to to. All in all I would love a american Standard natural Tele... Anyone got a spare 750 lying around.

Would not like to try a gig but I reackon it would survive (but lets face it I'd rather have a Fender tele to do that). Hard ware will last probably longer than the guitar, all strap buttons solid and not likley to go anywhere. I don't gig so I probably would use it as a backup if I did . Finish is quite fine and will last the course.

Well set up sucked to be honest, it had a really high action and the neck bowed like robins hoods long bow. all in all not brilliant but for the money I had was ok, sorted the set up my self (amazing what you can find on the net) and had to just adjust the pick up heights. generally finish looks great but flaws include (discovered after living with it for 6 months). Neck finsh not a good as could be, had to polish up a bit and uneven to the touch. Fingerboard wood rather cheap and dyed to give the best colour. Neck socket and neck are fine but not as snug to the eye it appears.

Not sure what year this is, think it's a Chinese manufactured for a belgian company. Clasic Thin tele neck with the Standard number 22 plus jumbo frets. Solid looks Tele like ash body with I think some sort of cheap maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. Comes complete with the traditional skunk stripe on the neck but face it we all know the put the truss rod in from under the fingerboard. Standard vintage style bridge a lipstick neck pick up, standard tele style bridge pick up 3 way selctor. Finished in a yellow-ish tinge body and a 3 ply black scratch plate. Cheapo home made tuners volume & tone control, 3 way pickup Switch with a top hat tip. Looks like Keith Richards from a distance.

Chriskult
    I just tried this guitar today, only in black. It looked and played great. I own a Yngwie strat and @ prestige Ibanez guitars, and this was a fast playing guitar. Sounded good too. It was on sale for $99CAN. I mean C'mon $99? I'm gonna buy it, scallop the neck myself, Shape the headstock to look similar to an ESP STRAT, put in a brass nut, sand off the name and get a decal made including my name( will cost $30), through a coat of clearcoat on the neck and I'll have a killer axe. If I decide to replace all the hardware for decent Allparts gold hardware The Whole guitar will cost about $300 CAN. It will be one of a kind and fun to do. My ChrisKult signature model....HAHA.
    Chriskult
    That was ....An yngwie strat and 2 prestige Ibanez.... I hate spelling mistakes. I'm a novice typist!