SEL-ZEB review by Stagg

Stagg: SEL-ZEB

I bought my beautiful Stagg in January 2014. It has 21 frets with perloid inlays. The fingerboard is rosewood. The body is made out of mahogany with a maple arch top. The neck is also made out of mahogany. The finish is a high gloss metallic red. This guitar has a Les Paul body style. As far as features go it is basically an off brand Les Paul. It even has Tune-O-Matic bridge. The tuners are Kluson-style. The tuners are probably average. They are not the best, nor the worst that I have used. The guitar features a three way toggle switch, two tone controls, and two volume controls. It has two Zebra humbucker pickups. My local music store threw in 10 picks, a cable, and a spare set of strings free of charge so I got a deal that I could not pass up.

My guitar suits my music style super well. I mostly play '60s and '70s rock like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, so on and so fourth. I also play Nirvana and Oasis quite often. I currently use a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 20-Watt amp with my guitar which has built in effects. The guitar is pretty loud. I usually have it and my amp turned down as low as possible and you can still hear it outside the house without any open windows. I can easily get both a rich tone and a bright tone from this guitar. This guitar is VERY versatile with the sounds it can make.

The action was set up perfectly at the factory, in my opinion. I can easily bend the strings, use hammerons, use vibrato, use slide, and use barre chords. I have not had to adjust the action at all. The pickups were a bit low for my taste, so I had to heighten both of them. They did not seem to be very active until I heightened them. The guitar does not contain any flaws that I can see. It doesn't have any rusted frets or badly filed frets. The wood seems like it is awesome quality. The paint also seems evenly distributed.

I believe that this guitar would handle a gig just fine. I personally have never played it live but it seems that it would do fine. The hardware seems very sturdy also. The strap buttons, however I do not trust. The buttons themselves seem sturdy, but my strap almost comes off sometimes so I would recommend strap locks. I would play this guitar live without a backup. I have recently been offered to join the band at my church and I would use this guitar with no worries. The finish seems like it will last. The guitar does not have a pickguard, so naturally I am a bit nervous about it getting scratches, but so far it seems fine.

The style of music that i play is mostly old rock and '90s rock and it fits those styles perfectly. I have been playing for 2 to 2 1/2 years now. I currently own an acoustic Fender. My Stagg is the only electric I own currently, but I am saving up for a Stratocaster. If my Stagg were stolen I would definitely buy it again. I love the sound, play ability, and action of the guitar. My least favorite thing with this guitar are the tuning machines. They are good but they could be better. I compared this guitar with Epiphones. I chose Stagg because it seemed like better quality for the money and it has a lot of the same features as a Gibson Les Paul. I love this guitar and would recommend it to the beginner and professional alike.

Darth Crow
    A below 300€ guitar has "a lot of the same features as Gibson Les Paul"? That kind of hard to believe, mate... is that your first guitar?
    songbird64
    This is my first electric guitar, but not my first guitar. When I said that it had a lot of the same features of a Gibson I meant that it is made out of the the same wood, has the same style of pickups, and the same style of bridge. I am aware that the features on a Stagg are not near the quality of a Gibson, but considering that it is at least $1,000 less than a cheap Gibson, it is decent quality.
    Air_Stryker
    "I love this guitar and would recommend it to the beginner and professional alike." I'm no professional, but I own 11 electric guitars. 4 Ibanezs, 2 Deans, 2 Washburns, 2 Gibsons and an LTD. If you tried recommending a Stagg to me, I would laugh at you. Quite a lot I'm afraid. Also, I get that the guitar may be good for the money you paid for it, but "it has a lot of the same features as a Gibson Les Paul." I have to disagree with. Honestly. It sort of looks like one, but that is right where the similarities end.
    markleehunter
    Don't agree. A mahogany body with a maple cap and mahogany neck are the defining features of a Les Paul. After that it's a question of whether the components are crap. He's ID'd the tuners as problematic. He hasn't looked at the wiring, so who knows. Maybe the frets need work, maybe not. At this price point a serious player would swap out the pickups and tuners anyway, and maybe the harness too. If you already have the parts, it can be a good deal. Assuming the basic construction is good, it will end up closer to a Gibson than you might think. BTW, I own a "real" LP, and owned another one. I swapped the tuners and pups on the one I have now.
    markleehunter
    Look, thanks to improvements in manufacturing, even cheap guitars can be well-made these days. Stagg in particular makes some decent gear, especially at their price points. Their LP copies always represented decent value -- not great, but you could tweak the instruments and use them happily. A friend of mine who works on his own guitars had their L320 and made it into a nice piece. I would take an Epi over a Stagg at the same price with the same features, not least on resale grounds. That said, the SEL Zebra looks like a good platform for tweaking or mods. The reviewer did us a favor by trying it out. Everyone has to start somewhere, and it takes nerve. What he tells me is this: He did his homework and got a pretty good guitar at a price he could afford. Looking at the review, you can tell what needs changing on this instrument. Be kind, guys.
    kruegger
    I just bought one and I am quite impressed with it considering the money I spent. As a matter of fact I was expecting some crap instead. It is not. Don't expect a ESP or a Gibson but for training purposes it fits well. Very well built. Smart option if your purpose is not to show off as I use to see a lot around.
    scott292
    wow this place if FILLED with guitar snobs and dilettantes. My Stagg A 350 Tiger Strip jazz hollow body will stack up against guitars costing 3 Xs the 600 I paid. ( With lined case hard from South paws, greatest left handed guitar store in the south, period. ( Bellaire Texas. go on line lefties, players from all over earth order and have their guitars setup there, I did too.) The owner personally picked mine out for what I wanted, (smooth jazz runs to ringing elec acoustic Beatles based etc., and it SLAMS Blues tracks.) Stop hating what you don't know ! p s Stagg builds some of the finest classical instruments in the world--that may be a hint.( Im going to post a photo so folks an see what Im talking about-a beautiful instrument.) WIKI-Stagg music is a Belgian musical instrument manufacturer. They produce a wide range of musical instruments, including guitars, bass guitars, mandolins, drums, percussion, cymbals and brass instruments as well as pro audio equipment.here's my Model- A300-WH - "Jazz" electric guitar - Semi-acoustic model - Pickups: 2 x Humbucker with gold cover - Controls: 2 x Volume + 2 x Tone - Pickup Selector Switch: 3-way - Maple Arch Top with B&W binding - Back & Sides: Maple - Neck: Hard Maple set neck, 628 mm, (24.75 in.) - Fingerboard: Rosewood, 20 frets - Bridge: "Jazz" style - Machine Heads: Diecast, gold - Colour: White
    fromzero
    8 would love to trust this review but it has noticeable flaws, like the number of frets. Maybe you meant 22? Obviously you've shown your experience right there.
    songbird64
    If you look up Stagg SEL-ZEB-MRD, the Stagg website states that it has 21 frets. I was in a hurry so I used their website for reference. I realize that my review is not the best, but I wanted to make a review with my honest opinion on the guitar. When I bought mine I could not find any reviews, so I just had to trust a random guy in the store who said it was good. I wanted other people to have a bit more reference before buying it.
    songbird64
    I counted the frets on my guitar and you are correct that it has 22 frets, not 21. I was using the Stagg website as reference for my review so that is why it is incorrect. Disregard my previous comment.
    Air_Stryker
    Does Stagg's own website giving misinformation about their own products tell you something about the quality of the company in general?
    songbird64
    That is true. Maybe my local music store only sells them if there are no quality control issues.
    Zaqq
    I bet all the people who voted this 6.0 have never even seen this guitar. Maybe the review is not so objective, but it's not a reason to give a bad rating to the guitar.