SEL-ZEB Review

manufacturer: Stagg date: 04/14/2014 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Stagg: SEL-ZEB
 7.6
 9.2
 5.9
 9,600
review (1) pictures (2) 14 comments vote for this gear:
SEL-ZEB Reviewed by: songbird64, on april 14, 2014

Features: I bought my beautiful Stagg in January 2014. It has 21 frets with perloid inlays. The fingerboard is rosewood. The body is made out of mahogany with a maple arch top. The neck is also made out of mahogany. The finish is a high gloss metallic red. This guitar has a Les Paul body style. As far as features go it is basically an off brand Les Paul. It even has Tune-O-Matic bridge. The tuners are Kluson-style. The tuners are probably average. They are not the best, nor the worst that I have used. The guitar features a three way toggle switch, two tone controls, and two volume controls. It has two Zebra humbucker pickups. My local music store threw in 10 picks, a cable, and a spare set of strings free of charge so I got a deal that I could not pass up. // 9

Sound: My guitar suits my music style super well. I mostly play '60s and '70s rock like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, so on and so fourth. I also play Nirvana and Oasis quite often. I currently use a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 20-Watt amp with my guitar which has built in effects. The guitar is pretty loud. I usually have it and my amp turned down as low as possible and you can still hear it outside the house without any open windows. I can easily get both a rich tone and a bright tone from this guitar. This guitar is VERY versatile with the sounds it can make. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up perfectly at the factory, in my opinion. I can easily bend the strings, use hammerons, use vibrato, use slide, and use barre chords. I have not had to adjust the action at all. The pickups were a bit low for my taste, so I had to heighten both of them. They did not seem to be very active until I heightened them. The guitar does not contain any flaws that I can see. It doesn't have any rusted frets or badly filed frets. The wood seems like it is awesome quality. The paint also seems evenly distributed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I believe that this guitar would handle a gig just fine. I personally have never played it live but it seems that it would do fine. The hardware seems very sturdy also. The strap buttons, however I do not trust. The buttons themselves seem sturdy, but my strap almost comes off sometimes so I would recommend strap locks. I would play this guitar live without a backup. I have recently been offered to join the band at my church and I would use this guitar with no worries. The finish seems like it will last. The guitar does not have a pickguard, so naturally I am a bit nervous about it getting scratches, but so far it seems fine. // 9

Overall Impression: The style of music that i play is mostly old rock and '90s rock and it fits those styles perfectly. I have been playing for 2 to 2 1/2 years now. I currently own an acoustic Fender. My Stagg is the only electric I own currently, but I am saving up for a Stratocaster. If my Stagg were stolen I would definitely buy it again. I love the sound, play ability, and action of the guitar. My least favorite thing with this guitar are the tuning machines. They are good but they could be better. I compared this guitar with Epiphones. I chose Stagg because it seemed like better quality for the money and it has a lot of the same features as a Gibson Les Paul. I love this guitar and would recommend it to the beginner and professional alike. // 9

Comments