T300 review by Stagg

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Stagg: T300

Purchased from: House of Guitars

I mostly play Foo Fighters type of stuff with the band I am in (and we range from the softer side of the Foo to the hard rock side). This guitar could do better but for what I got it for (modifying, back-up guitar) it will do fine. I'm using this along with a Vox AD15VT amp which I love, with 2 effects pedals, a Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory and an EHX Small Clone. There is some slightly noticeable 60 cycle hum from the single coils as expected, but nothing too harsh. A nice blues sound comes from the neck while the bridge is punchy. It does what I want it to do just fine. Hopefully with my plans for it, I'll get more of what I want.

So far, this guitar will do. I'm not interested in making this my main guitar, nor am I interested in putting a ton of money into it. If it does what I want from a back-up, then it will be wonderful. If I had the money, I would have gotten a Fender Mustang which played and felt a whole lot better then this, but this guitar will do for what I want. In this price range, this guitar is quite good. I compared it to a Squier Tele which was far more troublesome. I also played an almost $3,000 Fender Custom Shop Tele which had obviously been abused and this played just fine compared to it.

Hopefully this guitar will give me what I want from it. As a back-up and modding guitar, it should hold up pretty well, but how well is yet to be seen. At this point in time, the first upgrade I will get for it is a set of Home Depot strap locks (washers on the screws with a permanent strap on it). Since this is my back-up, I doubt I would have to use it as my main guitar for any gig, unless something were to happen to my beloved Ibanez Artcore. The finish already has some dents in it from being in a very careless shop (good, but careless). Luckily most of these are on the back of the guitar.

The action was just right for me, except the low E string, which will require a little height adjustment. The 3 complaints I have about this guitar are: and oxidized knob, sharp frets on the fret-marked sides of the fretboard, and you are able to see the gap between the bridge and bridge pickup's routing. There are also a couple of sharp screws, but that is a simple task to take care of.

The Stagg T300 is a Tele-body guitar made in China with traditional Tele stylings. These include the 3-ply (white/black/white) pickguard, fat single-coil bridge pickup, 'tube' neck pickup, 3 saddle bridge, 'top hat' pickup switcher, 6 in-line tuners, Satin finish neck, and football-style jack. The scale is traditional Fender 25.5" with a medium sized neck. The body is Alder (from the look of things) with a Satin finish maple neck and fretboard. The finish on mine is a full sunburst (black to red to lighter brown). The bridge is Tele-style with three saddles (2 strings sit on one saddle). On this guitar there is all-chrome hardware. For controls there is a 3-way pickup selector with a top-hat Switch and 2 chrome knobs for volume and tone. The headstock of this is similar to those of the SX guitars found at rondomusic. net with traditional Schaller-style Stagg non-locking tuners. With this I also bought a House of Guitars specialy customized gig bag by Levy's-one of the best gear brands in my opinion.

boblatango
    I have a t320 and it compares favourably to my mates squier tele and cost a third as much. rv's comments about it lacking resonance and twang are bullshit. Plenty of twang and a surprising amout of sustain for such a cheap guitar. It's a good solid guitar for a beginner.
    im_niffy_mc
    I'm an avid guitar player, play a lot of gigs. I bought this guitar second hand in perfect condition. I'll admit it was being sold as a Fender Squire Tele, if it wasn't for me later seeing the logo for stagg on it at home, I honestly have to say I wouldn't have known the difference.I have been borrowing my friends tele squire for the past six months and loved. This guitar after plugging it into my shitty 10 watt Yamaha amp, played beautifully! The action was perfect on it and the neck has a nice feel to it. It does lack a little twang but I had no buzz problems what so ever, it resonates perfectly and surprisingly even distorted you still get a clear sound and can hear all the notes of a bar chord without any of them being covered by any muddy-ness. Was disappointed to find out it wasn't an original tele but I am going to choose to ignore that as it sounds amazing! Much better than my shitty Ibanez. I'm not saying its better than original fender but it was worth the money I parted with. Maybe the previous owner customised a little though, so who knows. Either way I love it.
    pongki
    i got an offer for this guitar for $ 64...i want to buy it, but some people keep telling me that it isn't worth it...but i keep thinking, for $64, what do you expect??
    joshguitarzz
    rv_phoenix
    joshguitarzz wrote: i went to the mall looking for guitars. i saw this guitar and gave it a try. It has a very warm sound in the neck pickup and the bridge pickup makes a really good sound when playing distorted. I might buy one.
    Can you imagine Steve Hackett looking for his next guitar into a mall? Why not to a vanity fair or a hairdresser? Warm sound in the neck pickup and good sound in the bridge when distorted? But these are the most basic features of ANY 2 single coil pickups guitar design! Reviewing an instrument means to go much further than that. And this Stagg really deserves going further, because it is arguably one of the worst replicas of Tele you can buy on Earth. Except for the shape, it is nothing that relates this precious piece of junk to the real Teles or the good Tele-style guitars (and there are plenty!). It goes out of tune every 5 minutes, it buzzes everywhere, no matter how high is the action, pickups sound like sheer crap, no resonance, no Tele "twang" at all... Just the shape. It seems enough to fool a lot of innocent people, who don't even suspect that the Chinese guy who fabricated their "guitar" has never seen a real one in his entire life.