X300 review by Stagg

Stagg: X300

I like this things sound - lots of versitality. The 'rhythm' pickup gives a lovely dark crunch, perfect for open chords without screaming, very rich and full. Flick to the bridge 'lead' pickup, wack up the tone, and you get a beautiful clear sound in the top register. I'm using it through an ancient 'Marlin' Honer Amp, which is powerful, but not very clear. This guitar can sing through it very nicely though, no background noise unless your putting it through a miles worth of pedals and recording equipment, but I maintain that it's my Amp doing that. Word of warning though - very muffled through Fender practice amps. Big Fender machines; fine, but the mini ones just mush the sound completely.

I play just about every rock genre ever, and this guitar withstands it all perfectly. I've been playing for a year and a half now, and this was my first electric, got it about 10 months ago. I was on the lookout for a cheap guitar, and saw this model on a website - couldn't belive it for a minute. It looked too good to be true at such a price! If it were stolen, I would buy another one without even thinking. As far as money goes, you'll get 100 pleasures per pound with this thing.

This guitar has and will withstand some serious onstage thrashing, and is very depandable. The strap buttons are positioned in such a way that means the joins are vertical at all times, so there is no chance of it falling off, and it dosen't cut through the leather quite as fast. I would happily play this thing in a gig without backup if I had to, though it's just common sense to do so anyway. The only slight problem is that scratches show up really badly what with the shiny black finish. Look after this axe though, and it will look after you.

The action is pretty good on this guitar. Towards the top it becomes slightly harder, but you'l never notice really. No faults or flaws at all as far as I can see, the nut can buzz a little if your tuning it flat, but thats not really a problem.