X300 review by Stagg

Stagg: X300

Purchased from: ebay

Noisy pickups with no lows, trashy sound when distorted but amazingly clear sound without distorsion - like that but there's not much difference when you Switch the 3way switch. Good strings are a must! It came with the 10W Stagg amp, very loud and quite good for not distorted sound but overdrive on with this guitar sounds pathetic, not usable due to poor pickups on this guitar.

Bought 2nd hand but had almost no use. With this factory setup it would be very hard to play. I was not convinced about the shape but it grew on me with time. The major flaw with the neck is unacceptable and impossible to fix so I will sell it. I was hoping for a solid base for upgrading hardware and creating a custom setup but it would be a waste of cash. Honestly I do love more than a very good new Ibanez I used to have it but with this amount of problems it's not playable. I have to tune it every 15 minutes even with locked tremolo and tighten tuners. I recommend investing your money somewhere else and a lot more money, cause you do get what you pay for. All the best!

It seems durable although the paint has chipped on the bottom and it shows how thick the paint actually is - too thick. It's bad for the sound but you can bump it around without scratches or dents. The neck head is very nicely finished on mine, well polished, no rough edges and I have the Stagg golden signature not the crappy oval plate you see on other models.

Factory setup was very bad. I changed strings, lowered the action. Then I tried to adjust the neck it would not bend where it supposed to! Instead of raising in the middle it raised around first few frets from the top of the neck, so the action is not even across the neck but dips significantly between 6thand 12th fret. The biggest problem is that they cut off to much of the rosewood on top and the nut is in the wrong place! This is the biggest flaw. Wen you tune the guitar on empty strings it sounds out of tune when you play it - awful! The neck is to flexible so the tuning changes to much when you change playing position. The plus is the frets are quite smooth and you can play fast.

A couple years old, probably made in china, 24 frets on 25.5 scale, Standard Fender tremolo, black glossy finish, 2 humbuckers with 3way switch, volume and tone knobs. The body seems to be made from pine! - very light but no sustain at all. It would burn in 7 seconds if it caught fire, seems that the paint on the body weighs more than the wood. very simple neck with rosewood and normal frets, not jumbo. Basic tuners.

Ghost_of_Jimi
    rv_phoenix, you're nothing but a troll and a hypocrite. What's stopping someone buying this guitar and "Heavily modifying" it like your crappy Yamaha??? Ive played this model and it felt a lot better than most budget metal guitars like; Ibanez, Jackson, BC Rich and definitely better than a Yamaha.... hahahaha. Mods, is there anyway of blocking uninformative noobs like rv_phoenix, I can't stand the crap they spew out onto message boards when it's obvious they have no clue what theyre on about.
    rv_phoenix
    "A great guitar with a great sound"? Then why don't we see a decent guitarrist playing on it? Why Kerry King - who's not a great guitar player, but certainly knows more than those who write such reviews - sticks to his instrument, instead of reading our reviews and hastly grabbing a precious Stagg after that? This guitar doesn't only look like a cheap copy, it also sounds like one. Wood is so bad in it, then it would be probably a huge problem to make it burn in a chimney, thus finding a more appropriate use than in a guitar. How can you play metal on a guitar without sustain? Haven't you noticed that metal guitars use to be made in wood WITH resonance and tend to have a neck-through-body or set-neck construction? And high output pickups, more often active electronics? This Stagg is just a piece of junk. And an ugly one too!
    Ghost_of_Jimi
    Gunmad
    My first ever guitar was a Stagg x300, bought mine in 2006. shortly i discovered like others, that it was a peice of garbage. I ended up buying a LTD and a Fender shortly after. a few years later, i pulled it back out from my closet and started fiddling with it. Changed the pickups to a SD Dimeblade and a SD 59-bridge in neck position, simply because the original pickup's sounded muddy as hell. i locked the tremolo up so it cant move, stays in tune for months now. i also did some work on the end of the fingerboard, filed down the nut and deepened the grooves in it, to allow the strings to have more of a normal height from the fingerboard. Originally the nut held the strings way to high for my liking. After these small modifications i actually enjoy the living hell out of this guitar. Ive sold my LTD, and the Fender is hanging on the wall. After what i understand though, the unmodified Stagg X300 in later years has improved in quality to some degree to actually be playable, i dont know about the pickups but the quality control seems better.
    rv_phoenix
    Ghost_of_Jimi wrote: rv_phoenix, I've noticed you've taken a dump on every Stagg Electric Guitar review, why is that? You mention Kerry King not playing a Stagg guitar... guess what... he doesn't play your Yamaha Pacifica either! I'm guessing your parents bought you a Stagg guitar for your birthday instead of that Gibson you were expecting and you've never forgave them? what a sad person you are. Btw, this particular model has an alder body, much better than the basswood bodies found on Ibanez, Jackson, BC Rich, etc... budget lines.
    Dear fellow, when I was little, a Stagg would have been, in my country, a desirable instrument. Happily, until it became available, I grew up and added some 30 years of playing. Yamaha Pacifica? You forgot to read the rest. Heavily modified . That's JinHo Locking tuners, Seymour Duncan SH-2n (neck), Seymour Duncan JB (bridge), internal insulation, hand made bone nut, hand-wired, Seymour Duncan tone & volume pots. Kerry King wouldn't like it, I agree with you, because it's not a metal guitar. But it's a great rock, blues and jazz axe, which cost me a fraction of a similar instrument bought from a famous make. Not to mention Yamaha's reputation of reliability and wood-crafting. As for the Staggs, I've posted a comment on each one of them because I've tried them all (even some not mentioned here). And I hate companies who cheat people, taking advantage on their lack of knowledge. Staggs are not guitars, they only look like ones. Obviously, I'm not obsessed with Stagg: I've posted such comments to other crappy makes too. There'splenty of then, unfortunately. Don't forget there's a difference between a budget guitar and firewood.